1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thinking of buying an EUB... advice please?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by FollowMeDown, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Happy Steve

Happy Steve Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    Mel-burn, Ore-stralia
    Hi Vedi, the difference between my URB and the Yamaha is clear to me, but it is hard to make it clear here on a web page. I thought these pics might support my point, but I guess you could 'argue the toss' whether the measurements are that different. Both basses are normal 3/4 scale. You can see from the wood grain that my Yamaha is the standard (non LTD) SLB200.
    20210315_172113.jpg 20210315_171620.jpg
    probably not that important to the OP :)
    Steve

Bushmaster likes this.
  2. vedi

vedi

Sep 16, 2008
    Luxembourg, EU
    yeah, mate, what is normal 3/4? ;) I've seen 40,5 cm and 42 cm, and everything in-between. so, what's the length of the moving string on your basses?

but, D neck is when you reach the heel with your thumb and have the note D under your index finger on the G string. Eb neck when there's Eb there.

I was only stating that Yamaha EUB has always had a D neck. it is highly unlikely that they would switch just for one series (btw, LTD differs only in wood, and 300 is pretty much the same - both frame extensions from 200 fit 300 as well.)

Bushmaster and RattleSnack like this.
  3. I hope it was inches! ;)

Bushmaster and vedi like this.
  4. vedi

vedi

Sep 16, 2008
    Luxembourg, EU
    :D that's what she said...

but yes, you are absolutely right, inches...

Bushmaster likes this.
  5. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    My impression is 42" is considered sort of a standard, but yes there is variation.

Bushmaster likes this.
  6. Happy Steve

Dec 17, 2007
    Mel-burn, Ore-stralia
    Lets ask yamaha.
    Untitled.png

Bushmaster likes this.
  7. Ludwig

Ludwig

Aug 17, 2006
    Germany
    If you move the thumb to the neck heel, the note opposite the thumb decides D or Eb neck, not with what finger you press down there. If you keep the hand shape of the lower notes, usually the index finger is not opposite the thumb.

Bushmaster likes this.
  8. Happy Steve

Dec 17, 2007
    Mel-burn, Ore-stralia
    Well this is surprising to me.. :confused:
    Hi Steve,
    I have liaised with my colleague from Japan, Naoki. He was able to provide the following response:

Are these instruments fitted with a D or E-flat neck position?
    ⇒D neck
    Would there be any variation made for the Japanese market we are unaware of?
    ⇒We don't have any variation for Japanese market. It is only model for global market available.
    I hope this info helps. Enjoy your SLB200!

Soooo...
    - @vedi , your information is confirmed.

- I will need to modify my technique when playing the Yamaha. What lands me squarely on a D on my URB is placing me on a sharper fingered pitch here.
    ? different profile of the neck heel so I am moving my thumb too far south ?
    ? Yamaha construction optimised for much lower string height than I have set up.. so stopping the note increasing the pitch ?

Anyway, I can certainly recommend a Yamaha URB to the OP if having a responsive manufacturer is a factor. (I have no connection to Yamaha or its employees)
    Steve

Bushmaster likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021