Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thinner pots?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Christian Waiau, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    for some reason... i cant figure.. the vol pot on my bass has a pot that's shaft is more narrow then the others.. and the hole is also. the vol pot i got with my obp3 is too wide to fit throught the hole.. i've been wanting to replace the pot since i got it.. since the pot is a solid shaft and the rest are split.. thus the knobs i got keeps slipping off..

anyone know where to find thinner shaft pots? or... should i re-drill the hole to fit my vol pot from the obp3? and if i should drill.. any tips?(i dont know if this should be in the luthier section.. if it should be... let me know mods.)

:meh:

2. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    How about buying some other knob to fit the new pot?

3. Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    I'd like to keep the knobs matching

4. Audere

Audere Supporting Member Commercial User

Apr 7, 2005
    South Beach, OR
    Owner: Audere Audio
    Some Pots have 1/4" (0.25" or 6.35mm) shafts - more common in instrument are 6mm (or .236") shafts.

You can re-drill the knob if needed but make sure your drill bit will fit far enough into the knob to mount the knob at the height you want. Warning - drills often grab the part when you only drill out a little like this. Mount the knob in a vice etc.

5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Usually it is dealt with the other way around: getting brass sleeves to make split shafts mate well with 6mm solid shaft pots. IIRC I got a few sets from guitarpartsresource. I would drill out the pickguard to fit the solid shaft pot that you got with the Aguilar. That is the easiest. Use the other holes as a guide to select the right drill bit.

Your post is kinda confusing because I read it a few times and can't tell which post are solid and which are split and which one is too big or small or whatever. But pots are cheap so you should have no problem putting an entire matching set on there.

6. Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005

AH! very sorry... im in the middle of a move and i get a few minutes online.

ok.. i have 3 hole for a vol pot/ mid push-pull pot/ bass-treb stacked pot

the mid and bass/treb pots are ones i got from bestbassgear with the aguilar obp3.

the volume is the one that came with my bass.

the hole for the volume pot isnt as wide as the holes for the other two.

the volume pot is also a SOLID shaft as the other two(mid, bass/treb) are split. so i would like to replace it with another split shaft since i want to keep the set of knobs a matching set(the knob fits on the solid shaft.. but loosens easily)

i think i'd be easier to just redrill the volume pot's hole and use the volume pot that came with the other two.

BUT

i was wondering if anyone knew of a place that sold pots that are thinner then the standard ones? (looking for another push/pull that would fit actually)

i hope this is much clearer.. sorry for the mix up earlier. :help: