1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

This ain't normal, is it?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ghindman, Mar 30, 2006.

1. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    Bought a MiM J Fretless off the 'Bay, and found this when I went to put on new strings:
    [​IMG]

That's not how these are setup, are they? I'm guessing a new nut is in order? The playing portion of the fretboard isn't affected, so I'm not that peaved, but what some people do to a perfectly good instrument boggles the mind.

Thanks.

2. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Did he sand the nut down to be even with the fretboard???? Looks like he was trying to make a sort of zero fret. Theres no problems playing it? How does it sound?

3. that is a travisty

4. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    Glad to hear I'm not losing my mind. There's still some actual nut, which is why I didn't see anything until I pulled the old strings off. It actually sounded surprisingly good, knowing what I now know.

Then again, I'm not going to shed a lot of tears over a $225 bass when it'll cost me $35 for a new nut. ;)

5. well damn that sucks

6. If it sounds good for $225.00 dollars don`t worry about it.

7. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, don't worry about it. The guy just wasn't careful when he slotted the nut. If it sounds good, don't worry about it. You probably can't even see it with the strings on.

8. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    Everybody seems to agree that this looks totally wrong but I disagree.

On a fretted bass the bottom of the slot in the nut is equal (or slightly higher) above the fretboard to the fret height. However on a fretless, the bottom of the nut slots can be as (or almost as) low as the fingerboard itself. That means that in order to have pressure on the string in the nut to get a good witness point, the area behind the nut needs to be lower than the bottom of the nut slots.

IOW I think this has nothing to do with carelessness. It is unavoidable on a low action setup on a Fender because the fingerboard extends past the nut.

9. i wonder if that is a normal thing for fender to do, because i remember my fretless MIM fender jazz had the same thing, and i didn't even notice it until i sold it, and he wrote back to me telling me about it! (maybe that is my bass :)) but either ways, i didn't notice a difference in playability or anything...maybe bassfelt is right

10. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I had a new MM SR5 fretless that was the same way from the factory.I wouldn't worry about it.

11. Whacked

Whacked

Sep 21, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    just checked my MIM J fretless.
    Pretty much the same and the action on that bass is pretty low.

Unless it affects playing, I wouldnt sweat it.

12. ghindman

ghindman

Feb 10, 2006
    Interesting - thanks.

13. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I would mostly agree with this. I think it's a case of the area behind the nut being too high rather than the nut slots begin cut too deep.

14. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

As long as those nut slots aren't lower than the fingerboard, it's normal.