1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

This is how you should end it...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by TRichardsbass, Aug 15, 2012.

1. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    ...but it rarely does. Like tonight.

Found out from one of my now former songwriting partners that they were going off on their own. Iput us all together, and was the initial force. As always happens, one came in and started to push in a different direction and focus.

Now, we havent written squat together in 6 months because two of the guys are in multiple cover bands, and the third has been working the 9-5 hard of late. So, its not like we are kicking it out.

I HAVE a written contract, so anything to date ifi need can be handled in or out of court and everyone knows who gets what. I own the company name, so its mine. I told them i was shutting down the Facebook page and twitter, and will launch again under a new DBA.

Am i pissed? Yes, but not that it fell apart, more that thay havent returned any of my calls for the past 4 months and i had to hear it tonight after one of them finally called me back. Still, i am disappointed, but not mad.

So, one team down. Time for a new one. Success IS the best revenge.

If you are interested in joining a songwriter in co- writing, PM me.

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Some say only the strong survive, but I think a better way of thinking should be something like only the adaptable survive.

Sounds like you've certainly been there, done that, before. I know I have. And yet I'm still always amazed that folks I thought I had something of a relationship with can be so amazingly ungracious as to simply not communicate as adults.

All the best....

3. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    I know one of your ex-partners (better to say I know his wife). Don't know what role, if any, he had in this. Bummer, but as they say, when one door closes, another one opens. Good luck!

4. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    That is cool. Things all happen for a reason. I worry not about roles, more about just integrity and honesty. I knew things weren't what they were expecting, but taking 4 months to actually say it is, well, interesting.

I've got other writing partners out there, and working on some material for a totally different direction.

But thanks for the words. Crap happens. It is the way of the business. Ask Pete Best, Glen Matlock, yada yada....

5. Sorry to hear that TR hope you find someone soon and get your project off the ground may I ask are you still writing pop/punk songs?

6. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    Yes RT. Pop, punk and new country. Interested?

7. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Me. I would never work with guys that are in multple bands.

I have argued my position many times and I get ripped for it, but here is another example of why it's not for me.

Sure, it can work, but at my age it's more pain than it's worth.

If my band ever has to audition for a new member, I would make it clear to the members that my position would be not to audition anyone that is in another band.

8. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I wonder how many Tbers know who Pete Best is, besides me.

No Googling.

blue

9. Wasn't he the original bassplayer for Led Zeppelin? ;)

10. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Yeah, congrats.:rolleyes:

11. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    None. Just you.

12. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Well played - LOL at the hubris!

13. Once again, blue wins the internets.

14. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Agreed

blue

15. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Can't say I blame you. After you've done this business for a while and get accustomed to the fact that people come and go, and the industry is volatile, you'd hope that people can actually communicate bad news to you and be cool with it. But for some reason, it still happens. I'd rather get a quick no and make plans from there than be on hold for no good reason.

16. I wish I had time the 9-5 has me in the supporting role 1 in the university one in his last year of high school the other a Junior in high school other two want to go to college.

I only play in a cover band to keep my sanity ha ha ha
    I write all the time though, recently co-wrote two songs for a
    guitarist I know out of state he sent me a mp3 of the song no lyrics and I wrote the words. I have continue to write songs since I stop playing original stuff in the late 80's and have written bass lines most recently for Sharman and Alfred Nittoli (the actor) who wrote Heres to the band that Old Blue Eyes used to sing. They sent me mp3,charts and I wrote the bass. I was invite to their private studio to lay down the tracks I wrote. It was of all things a Country album and they ended up selling some of the songs in Nashville. Anyway best of luck finding a partner that fits your needs maybe someday I will stick my head out of the sand again and get all the girls crying in the front row lol.

17. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I know who Pete Best is, but Glen Matlock :confused:

Off to google.......

Back from google......meh

18. TRichardsbass

Jun 3, 2009
    Matlock is probably in a weirder place. He wrote ALL of the big Sex Pistol songs, but got tossed for Sid. How crappy was that, the ONLY talented one in the band tossed for a faux human who couldnt even play.

19. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I thought Matlock quit on his own. Anyway, he went on to do other things and rejoined the Pistols, while his replacement ODed. I think Matlock came out ahead in this deal.

20. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    +1
    I want to tattoo that on the inside of my eyelids!