This is not an April Fools' Joke - BTB owners rejoice !

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by groovecraver, Apr 1, 2017.

1. groovecraver

groovecraver Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2008
    These pickups may have arrived on April Fool's Day but I wouldn't joke like this !
    I heard another TB'er mention that these were coming. I was told I have the 1st set but who really knows - Anyway the new Bartolini H65CBC B/T replacement pickups for the Bartolini MK2 and BH series are here !

Attached Files:

skeeler, Aidil and Basehead like this.
  2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    post the sound comparison please :bassist:

while on the same subject...

kinda irony that Ibanez has just changed the 2017 BTB Bartolini pickups to BH2 which have different dimensions (seem smaller) than the BH1 / MK2 pickups.

3. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    After reading again the OP attached mail, just realized that the difference between 5 string vs 6 string model is on the (total) string spacing 72 mm vs 90 mm, which seems to be the answer of questions that have been bothering me: the difference among MK4, MK5, and MK6 pickups, and whether I could use my MK6CBC in a 5 string bass.

Though it also raised another question, why the Bartolini Original Bass series is more expensive than the Classic Bass series?

4. groovecraver

Jan 15, 2008
    Aidil,
    I will try to post something when I install the pickups. I don't know when I will get them in. My band keeps me real busy and I do installs on the side. I want to thank you though. It was your 10/16 post that allowed me to hold out for these pickups ! Had I not seen your post, the wood chipping was about to commence.

5. groovecraver

Jan 15, 2008

I will try to post something when I install the pickups. I don't know when I will get them in. My band keeps me real busy and I do installs on the side. I want to thank you though. It was your 10/16 post that allowed me to hold out for these pickups ! Had I not seen your post, the wood chipping was about to commence.[/QUOTE]

I have never posted a sound link so I hope this works. There is a sample of the Mk2 pickups on one file. I did the recording in the following order: Both pickups, neck pickup, bridge pickup, fingerstyle then slap to a backing track. The H65cbc pickups were recorded in the same manner except the slap file is separate. The preamp is: Aguilar OBP3. Sorry for the noise in the background. I left the levels the same even though the H65's have stronger output. To this bass player, these pickups are cleaner and less hollow. The punch and bottom are much more present and the high end is not brittle even with an OBP3 pre. Finger style is fantastic!
    You can feel every nuance. All strings ring out with the same volume levels.

ex-tension likes this.
  6. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    hearing those files using good quality headphones, to my ears both pickups have great sounding, only somehow I felt the H65CBC as more mid scooped than the MK2.

7. groovecraver

Jan 15, 2008
    You have good ears my friend. I didn't mind the MK2 pickups but I prefer a less scooped sound personally.
    I will mention that I had to back the bass off considerably on the H65's. They were actually set to center detent because the bass was much stronger. Treble was near max, mid sweep at center, mid control at 12:10, and pickups centered. The signal came off my Mesa D800 through an old Zoom H2 recorder.

8. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    i am interested in the h65cbc but can't find them anywhere online. searches are yielding nothing. anyone have any info or links to some? or was this truly a joke....

9. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    why don't you just send an email to bartolini?

10. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I suppose I will. I assumed that a quick and easy post in this thread would yield quicker results.

11. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    This is why I posted here first........

"Thank you for contacting us. We've been overwhelmed with requests and will respond as soon as we can - usually within 3 days.

Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,
    Your Friends at Bartolini"

12. groovecraver

Jan 15, 2008

13. groovecraver

Jan 15, 2008
    Hey scuzzy,

I have not checked this thread in a while. When I got my set I was told I would be receiving the first set. I, as Adil stated, sent an email directly to Bartolini. I even talked to their distributor by phone and he was extremely cool !
    His name is Doug Somervell. All I know is that he lives in Virginia and handles matters of the east coast for Bartolini. I got my pickups in less than a week. I don't have his phone number but I'm sure if you reference his name in your email to: support@bartolini.net, he will respond. Good luck ! I think the search and find for you will be well worth the effort.
    My BTB is way up in the rotation now. If you couple these with a proper preamp you will have a monster !!!

14. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    bumping up this thread with recent info I've just found...

Bartolini has updated their website in regards to the USA replacement of the MK2 & BH1 pickups which previously stated as unavailable:

Bartolini H6.

So... Turns out they've made few options for the BH1 replacements besides the Classic Bass (CBC): the 2JSquared (2J), the Original Series (C) and the Singularity (S).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    groovecraver likes this.
  15. groovecraver

Jan 15, 2008
    Aidil,
    I saw this too ! From no options to many options ! That 2J sounds intriguing.

16. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    yes, and BBB appears to have them in stock.

I also have my eyes on the 2J Square type. I've been thinking, having two of this would make my BTB685SC has options of in-line noiseless Jazz bass coils, beside dual coil.

17. groovecraver

Jan 15, 2008
    Please post clips if you do that !

18. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    unfortunately, upgrading the the BTB pickups is the very last thing on my GAS list, mainly due to the total cost that I have to pay in relation to the price of the bass. The price of $300-something is the starting point. Then sending them to my country is another thing... not to mention the import duty that would add a significant amount to the cost.

Then the other thing is the fact that Ibanez has changed the BH1 to BH2 on their latest basses also makes me wonder whether I should get the H6 pickups... unless, if the BH2 turns out to be the same size as the BH1, then they certainly will be climbing up the list.