Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

This just SUX

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bain, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Bain

Bain

Sep 7, 2005
    The Netherlands
    I am currently in the market for a new bass guitar, I am a new player so I only have my first bass from a starter set, and I want to upgrade to something more worthwhile. So I spend loads of time on interent, looking at the prices at musicianfriend and music123, and reading reviews on specific types. :bassist:

And so far so good, no worries. The problems begin when I mail them with a question about ordering. As it turns out, the cannot ship to the Netherlands (where I live) because almost all the brands do not allow shipping outside of the US. :eyebrow:

So what is the big deal you ask? I can just as easily buy my guitar in a local dutch guitar shop right. Well that is true, they do sell the guitars, but they are WAY more expensive. For example, a Musicman SUB 4 = $699 on music123, so that comes down to 560 euro, now if I want to buy it in a dutch store I have to pay 850 euro for it ($1060). :scowl:

This sux, why do I have to pay so much more for a guitar in the Netherlands :bawl:

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Welcome to Europe bro :D

Van waar in Nederland ben je? ;) Er zitten hier wel een paar Nederlandse Tb'ers die u misschien kunnen helpen ;)

3. kung funkei

kung funkei

Jun 6, 2005
    if you order a bass from US, you'll get from $700 for a bass to $1000 quicker than you think. you have to include the shipping costs, taxes, the money that the bank takes for their service,... i ordered a valenti, which would cost me a bit over $1500, if i were to live in US.., but instead i'll have to pay around $2100... (but i don't care, cause she's a real beauty anyway :hyper: )

4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    There are very good reasons they can't ship to Europe and, even if they could, you could end up paying far more by the time it was delivered.

Shipping, in the case, is probably going to cost you $150. You might be lucky and get it for $100

You'll probably get hit for import duty when it comes into the country... not sure how much this is in the Netherlands

Then you'll be hit with VAT, which I believe is 19% where you are. This will be applied to the price you paid for the goods, the shipping and the duty.

Then you'll also be hit for bank fees, and an additional processing fee from the shippers.

It's a similar situation in the UK. While a $700 SUB looks cheap (equivalent to £385). Once you do the maths it comes out at £550. I can get a new one here for £525, a lot quicker and with a valid warranty.

The reason EB (and most other manufacturers) prevent US dealers delivering internationally is to protect their international distributor network. That might be inconvenient for you at this moment in time, but think about it... no European distributor, no market presence in Europe, no SUBs in the shops.

5. Yes, taxes when you order from the USA to Sweden is 25% of price+shipping(!). Plus toll fees. I imagine it is similar for the Netherlands.

Look for a mail order distributor within the EU and take the calculated final price from the USA into account, and I think you will find that there are only marginal differences.

6. Bain

Bain

Sep 7, 2005
    The Netherlands
    But it is not just the shipping, I understand (altough I wasn't aware of all the tax rules) that when you ship the price would be much higher then the listed prices. But it doesn't change the fact that an American can buy a guitar for way less then I would pay for it, be it through shipping or through a local store.

7. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Blame the government, but bear in mind those taxes pay for something our friends across the pond don't get.

You might be able to get a cheap return flight to the states and buy one there. That way you'll have a valid warranty. Of course it would be immoral not to declare it to customs on your return.

8. kung funkei

kung funkei

Jun 6, 2005
    this is the market's fault.., since basses of certain quality (in your case the musicman) sell for the price they're at right now in europe, the salesmen don't have a reason to lower the price.

for instance: the sonor drums sell for a lot less in the US, than in europe.., eventhough they're manufactured in gemany and the company itself is german. it's just because the competition in US is higher and they have to reduce the price of their instruments if they want them to sell.., they don't have to do this in europe, so you pay a lot more for the same set of sonor drums here, than in US (and this despite the company being from europe)... ..i said it a lot of times, but anyway.., I HATE THE ECONOMY!!! :p