This Mixer to soundcard.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Feb 15, 2005.

Ok, that mixer there, does it have enough to record 2 audio mics, a bass and 2 guitars?

it says 12 inputs and it looks like it has 4 mic inputs so "technically" could it take 4 mics and 8 guitar/basses?

Also, would I need a mega sound card? I dont need a soundcard input for every mic/guitar i put into the mixer at once do I? Or will a single input work?

Is this how I could record a jam session? AND a one track at a time session?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No. Behringer counts a stereo channel as 2 channels. I don't know how they get the other four. Maybe the two aux returns? It really only has 6 channels. It can do what you want, but the one channel will not have a gain, which is strange.

It is not a recorder. You can record a jam, by sending the tape out to a recorder of some sort. The output will be stereo, not individual tracks. You can always record track at a time.
  3. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Assuming you want a mixer (and not a recorder), this might work better for jams. It is smaller, all 5 of your inputs will have gains, and it is cheaper :) It also runs off batteries if that matters.

I own one of these so feel free to ask questions about it.
  4. seanm

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Huh, never thought of that.... So my 1002 could record 3 tracks. Two with the main out and one with the FX Send. I could also use the MON send, but it is pre-faders if I remember correctly :(
  5. The UB1204 will allow you to record a maximum of four tracks simultaneously by using both the main output (one stereo pair) and the ALT 3-4 output (second stereo pair).

It has four microphone inputs and two stereo inputs. The mic inputs can also be used for instruments. In practical terms you have four mic inputs and two instrument (or other mono or stereo source) inputs. The other "inputs" are effects returns, which don't really count.

As for soundcards, generally you will find cards with two, four, or eight inputs. The more inputs you have the more separate tracks you can record simultaneously. If your soundcard only has two inputs then you would need to mix down to stereo for recording, which means that you cannot adjust relative levels after the fact.

For 2in-2out cards I recommend the Echo Mia and Audiophile 2496. The Delta 44 is an inexpensive 4-in card.
  6. yeah I'm looking for a mixer not a recorder... I want to record it onto my computer through the mixer/soundcard.

All this stero/mono/FX deal is kinda confusing me... I guess I dont know as much as I thought I did. All I really want is to beable to record 2 guitars a bass and 2 mics... with a little room for maybe another mic in there or something if we decide to add. And I guess that one will only give me 4 tracks, unless I want to make one stereo? Could I make all 4 stereo and have 4 tracks but 8 things going into it?

Kevin, do you work in a music store in Saskatoon?
  7. The UB1204 has four mic/line inputs and two stereo line inputs. This gives you a maximum of four microphones plus two stereo inputs.

I don't work at a music store, but know a lot of the staff at the various stores, especially HEL. You might want to pop into a couple of stores and tell them what you want to do.

The short answer is that you can do what you want with a small mixer, but you might need to make some compromises with mixing down two or more instruments onto each track.
  8. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003

Your single Soundcard Line In will do.
    You really don't need anything fancy for your needs.