This sound comes from a 112 combo?! (Ampeg Content)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by alanolynn, Nov 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. alanolynn

alanolynn

Aug 19, 2012
    NNY
    So I inherited a BA112, and thought, "nice, I finally have a decent practice amp to keep at home"

I plugged that bad boy in and dialed a tone that made me wish my live rig could sound that awesome. Yes, it's in a smaller space, with better acoustics, but dayum!

I suppose my mind is made up then. I had been using an MXR M80 preamp to my cheapo TC BQ500 head, but now I'm ready to upgrade to a real Ampeg head. I'm thinking a PF800 to pair with the Henry. Any reason to go with a BR vs. a PF? I assume not, but just looking to pick some brains. I'm lookin' at you Jimmy!

JimmyM, S-Bigbottom and McG like this.
  2. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I know just what you mean. I've had a little Ampeg BA-108 for home practice for many years. It's in a corner, under a table, in a room with great acoustics. The best bass tone I've ever had from any amp/cab. Of course, it's in large part because of the room and not competing with other instruments, but I always wished I could bottle that sound.

The BA-115 that lives in our band rehearsal room sounds very good and I LOVE my GK MB500/Avatar 210/112 gig rig, but neither of them have the tone of the 108 at low volume at home.

3. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Sometimes where you play a rig is just as important to the sound you get as the rig itself. I had a buddy who played one of the little Ampeg 15" loaded combos years back (BA-115 I think with the controls on top in the back IIRC) and in a small/med venue I thought it sounded great. I played on it a number of times and also liked how it sounded with my basses.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    McG likes this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I'm a fan of my PF800. I also am a fan of my BA112, although I do think the PF800's a better overall head.

alanolynn likes this.
  5. Gregy

Gregy

Sep 21, 2017
    That's exactly what I'm using now, and it has been working fine for me so far. But I'm always open for better options!