1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thomastik-Infeld Flat replacements, HELP

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by the blast, Mar 30, 2009.

1. the blast

the blast

Jan 6, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Hi guys, I just bought a new Fender Pino Palladino Precision Bass that came with TI Flats (.043, .056, .070, .100) & I absolutely love them. However, I'm doing some work where I need a little more of an aggressive, roundwound set of strings & I'm unsure what to get.

Ideally I'd like to get something in the same gauge (are flats & rounds gauged & tensioned the same?) as I don't want to have to make any adjustments to the instrument. I want something that is nice & smooth... not clicky/metal/sizzle sounding.

What are your suggestions?

Best,
    John

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Sunbeams?

3. the blast

the blast

Jan 6, 2009
    Los Angeles
    If I went from .043, .056, .070, .100 to .045-.065-.080-.100, would I possibly have make adjustments to my bass or in your experience, is this not a big deal? I just don't know.

Thanks guys & any help here is really appreciated!
    -John

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I went from Sunbeams (my favorite roundwound) to TI Jazz Flats and I didn't have to make a truss rod adjustment...just a little work on the bridge for action.

Try the Sunbeams. They are a nickel roundwound so they have some sizzle (as all rounds do), but it's a warmer sounding roundwound and they keep their brightness longer than any other roundwound I've tried.

5. the blast

the blast

Jan 6, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I'll check out the Sunbeams.

I'm really liking the idea of the D'Addario Half Rounds.

Any experience with these?

-John

6. I know, I know......

It might sound weird but try a set of d'Adario chromes!!!!
    Smooth but lots of highs!!!!

I have em on my PINO back-up (a FR 50s MIM with tort PG)

Cheezzzz,

Theo

7. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    Elixir