1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts on Quilter Tone Block w/ Meatsmoke Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by luypasin22, Jan 15, 2017.

1. luypasin22

luypasin22

Dec 20, 2015
    Hi everyone,

I am currently using a Verellen Meatsmoke and just ordered a Meatsmoke Preamp pedal to get this sound pretty much everywhere when I need to fly somewhere to play.
    I am looking for a head I could use everyday, sometimes as a spare and also everywhere in the world if needed ( hence the interesting universal power supply on the Quilter :) )

Does anyone use the Tone Block 200 or 201 with bass ? Is it powerful enough ?
    I don't really fancy the bass block 800 cos of the lack of fx loop ( for the meatsmoke preamp, even though it would be okay to use it directly in the front input I guess ), and because I've always felt "meh" for bass exclusive amps ( I've always played through old tube big heads )

Thanks for your inputs !

Xavier

2. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Hi,

No experience with the quilter, but shouldn't any power amp do the job for you which has a DI as well as I think that is missing on the Meatsmoke.
    It's all about how much air you need to push, if 200w is all you need I am sure it will be fine

3. luypasin22

luypasin22

Dec 20, 2015
    thanks !

I'm not using a DI live anymore becase I really don't like that, but if the Tone Block really pushes like a real tube amp, I guess too it should be enough...
    At least I hope so !

4. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    OK

I always thought DI was a good option, from your post it sounded like you were going for a really small foot print I.e taking no cabs with you.
    When you are on the fly are you taking a cab and which one just out of interest?

Also how are you finding the Meatsmoke pre amp.
    Always interested me, but I have a fair amount of dirt with a Le Bass pre amp a Darkglass B7K and VMT and the Darkglass amp.
    Not sure i need anymore, but I always like different?!

astheshipsails likes this.
  5. luypasin22

luypasin22

Dec 20, 2015
    Oh right, I can see now how this could have been misleading, sorry !
    Yeah, I don't really like that kind of stuff, not that it's bad or anything, but it just doesn't suit my ears :)
    I mainly play through 2x15 or 4x12s, and the Quilter would be a good option to get my sound with the meatsmoke when I'm playing far away, and not have to deal with an amp that I really don't like.

I don't use DI because I play with many overdrives and such, don't like the sound of a DI and have had desastrous experiences letting the sound guy do whatever he wants with it, so it's a big no for me :)

The Meatsmoke pre reacts just like the head, depending on where you plug it in, but it's really impressive !
    I guess a littlbe bit less "modern" than the pres you have !

6. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Thought the Meatsmoke would be awesome, but not sure if I can justify getting more Distortion and the Le Bass does a pretty good tube sound, and with a DI.

Do you think the 200w is enough for you, I take it the cabs will be miked up?
    Meat is always good when you push air!

7. Mugwump

Mugwump Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    I have the quilter bass block. The lack of an FX loop was initially a concern, but I feel that the front input is clean enough that this isn't an issue. The amp can't produce any dirt, but the sound is very full. Like a clean tube amp. It takes pedals very well. The tone controls are super simple and very intuitive for bass. But with my set up I will leave the tone knobs at noon. I run a compressor and preamp in the front. This gives me a consistent sound regardless of volume level. I came from an Ampeg V4B which was a beast to move and got too dirty too quickly.

I am very happy with the head. And based on your needs, this looks like it might be a solution for you too.

LeonD, tewnty_two and CharlieC like this.
  8. CharlieC

CharlieC Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2010
    New York, NY
    +1

9. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I was able to get a little bit of hair out of the BB800 when I did a demo. Crank the gain to 11 and use the master as the volume control... it's not gonna be total saturation, or distortion, or fuzz,,, but it will put a little hair on your notes. But I don't think that is the intention of the BB800. Big, warm, clean is what it's for.

Seems like the BB would be a good option for the OP. Plug the meatsmoke pre into the front end,,, or the line in of you just want to hear your pre with a 800w poweramp.

10. Ricky G

Ricky G

Mar 12, 2019
    I own a quilter OD200 and ran a preamp in the effects return to use as a power amp. Since trying that out I found an original Quilter Tone Block 200 for under $200 and have been using that now. Gives a little more control with the input gain and contour controls. They even advertised the Tone Block 200 as a general power amp for guitar, bass or keyboard, when it first came out. It's been working find for me.

I'm in a rock/punk band that gets pretty loud and raunchy. I've not had any problems with volume with this setup, but I'm also not dealing with a couple of 100watt marshall half stacks. The guitar players in my band have a 40watt fender HR Deluxe and an Orange AD30TC through a 2x12, but for shows they typically play through 15watt lunchbox heads(tiny terror and a vox) so that helps.

11. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I'm using a Tech 21 Q/Strip as a preamp. I compare the sound both going into the front of the BB800 with the tone flat vs going into the Line In on the back (basically bypassing the pre and eq). I heard no difference as long as I kept the gain on the BB800 low enough not to kick in the limiter/compression.

12. voided3

voided3 Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Me too, as well as a Mini 101 Reverb, but I haven't tried either with bass since I also have an ELF for my compact setup. I keep forgetting to test this out with a bass cab!