1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

thoughts on the SVT 15e?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Morson93, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Morson93

Morson93

Jan 27, 2009
    Hello,

Just been looking at the SVT 15e, and it looks okay, and for 350 it sounds fine for using at home, but how does this thing actually sound? will it sound good paired with a 410HE?

How do this and a 410HE compare?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    A 15 is never a good match with a 410. That particular cab is very old school sounding, you'd need to give it a listen, but with a 410, not so much.

3. davet999

davet999

Jun 10, 2010
    I've got one of these. I replaced it with an SWR Goliath III Jr.
    The frequncy response on Ampeg cab is like, 50Hz-3kHz. It always sounded muddy, very hard to make work in small rooms, seemed to compete with a kic drum. The Goliath sounds great everywhere. Just plug it in and play. The difference was night and day switching cabs.

If you really want one, you can buy my Ampeg for $200.00.
    It's clean, ready for work. :bassist:

4. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

I have this cab, and I love it. It works great with a tube head.

However, if you need a ton of low end, I'm not sure it would be the right cab for you. It's more mid-heavy. It also doesn't have very high power handling.

I would definitely NOT pair it with a 4x10. If you can find an Ampeg 210he used, that might work well. Or you could just use two 15e cabs. But then, I wouldn't pair any 4x10 with any 1x15.

You can get a used one for a lot cheaper than $350, too.

5. Lots of mids and high-mids, not much low end (less than SVT-410HLF and SVT810E)
    Great cab, especially in boomy rooms, much punchier than 410HLF and 810E I used to have. Very oldschool vibe, but def. not muddy at all. Should sound great with another svt-15e or svt-12he

6. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    I have one paired with a 410HE and it sounds fine.

7. I used to have one. Loved it in the studio, hated it live.

8. Morson93

Morson93

Jan 27, 2009
    The thing is, i'd love a Ampeg SVT 810 to go with my SVT 3 pro, but i don't have room, so i'm trying to find something similar sounding, that isn't too big, i can use at home, and i can pair with something to use it gigging. i did think 410HE, but i don't want to pay £500 new if there's better solutions. the 410HLF isn't for me, and the 810 is too big for me. So i was thinking 15e or 410he. I just want a nice warm sound, that i can use for punk, pop punk, and then make abit more bassy for indie sort of music.

9. maevinj

maevinj

Feb 10, 2008
    ALB!
    If you want a stand alone 15, I'd get the orange obc115. I own both and prefer the Orange over the 15e. the obc115 has a little bit more ummph than the 15e. If you do get the 410he and 15e, which everybody will tell you not to do, make sure you put the 410he on the bottom when you stack it. You'll be able to hear your 15 better and tell when you're reaching it's limit

10. Morson93

Morson93

Jan 27, 2009
    Okay, so if i had 2 410he's, would this be the equivalent of a 810e?

11. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Two 410he's will sound somewhat like an 810, at least, with their tweeters turned off.

12. Morson93

Morson93

Jan 27, 2009
    are the tweeters turned off with the slider at the back? What does the tweeter actually do?

13. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Tweeters are for high frequencies. Some people like them, some people don't. If you're trying to use two 410he's to get the same effect as an 810, attenuating or turning the tweeters off entirely might be necessary, as the ampeg 810 doesn't have a tweeter.

And yeah, they're controlled from the back.

14. Morson93

Morson93

Jan 27, 2009
    sweet, i think i'll get the 410he, it just means waiting abit longer

15. Morson93

Morson93

Jan 27, 2009
    one more thing. How does the 410 and SVT 3 work together at lower volumes? Using in the house i won't have it toooo loud

16. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    One of the absolutely best, "out-front", bass tones I've ever heard was a blues/country player using two Ampeg 115 cabinets stacked with a SVT-CL head and a old Fender Jazz runnin' through it, no FOH support.
    Might have been mud on stage...but it was bass bliss out in the audience!