Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thoughts on this setup.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by screamingdaisy, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Right now I'm playing through a practice amp until I get my chops upto par, and in the mean time I'm saving for the bass rig I'll eventually need.

Right now I'm pretty sure I'd prefer a rig that grinds over one that is clean....I'd prefer to stick with Ampeg as my buddy is an Ampeg dealer (thus a slight discount in price), but I am willing to look at other options.

I'm also considering a Boogie 400+ and BB 750....but I won't get a price break on any of those....

Any suggestions?

Also, what is your opinion on Ampeg cabs? I'm thinking of a 4x10 & 1x15 setup, and again I'd like to stay Ampeg due the the price break, but I am willing to look at other options.

I prefer bass sounds in the vein of sludge and doom bands (Sabbath, Corrosion of Conformity, Crowbar, Sunn O))), Pentagram, FuManchu, Kyuss, ect), but ultimately my rig needs to be able to serve the music, so I'm keeping that in mind when making my final decision too as it'll be hard to get a gig around here with a dimed & fuzzed Sunn head into a muddy set of cabs. :)

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Ampeg + Grind = SVT CL or SVT II.

3. you want grind, go w/ Gallien Krueger.

grind city

4. +1... especially if you get a good discount!

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

No offense, but when I've used GK, I would not classify their sound as "grind". If anything, I'd say they are bright and in your face, but little to no grind or warmth. I'm not saying bright and in your face is a bad thing, a lot of people love that sound, but grind does not describe GK's tone well unless you use some effects with the head.

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Hey MG, have you ever actually played a Gallien Krueger? I have. In fact, I used one as my main gigging amp for the last year or so. Based on REAL WORLD experience, rather than what a website says, there ain't much grind in a GK. That's NOT to say GK isn't a good amp. I love the 1001RBII, but grindy, it AIN'T.

7. Quadzilla

Heh, funny, that's what I said too! :D

8. Quadzilla

Now the setup for sale in my sig, that has mega GRIND (shameless plug...)!

9. And what do you guys think of the Ampeg cabs?

Sound, reliability, value, ect?

10. What power amp would you combine the CL with?

Would you consider the CL or the SVT II to be more flexible?

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I meant the SVT CL..that is, the SVT Classic. No power amp needed, 300 watts of tubey goodness already included. I didn't post on Ampeg cabs, because I'm not real knowledgable about them. I do know that if you aren't going Ampeg, the Bergantino NV Series are STELLER cabs for tube heads. I'm using an NV610 with my Mesa 400+ and couldn't be happier with it. I do believe the SVTII is probably a bit more flexible than the Classic. It has more EQ options. For my tastes though, I'd get the Classic.

12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

I have owned or do own three 115s, an 810, two 410s a 210 and now a 410HLF. I lost one speaker in nearly 20 years. The coil dropped.

I know there's a lot of really nice stuff out there, but to me, Ampeg is the sound in my head. In modesty, I am not a pro, but I do well enough playing and have been forunate enough with my day job that I honestly can have any bass rig out there. I play Ampeg. I just love the sound, and I always have.

13. That's another thing I was wondering.....what does E, HE HLF and HPC mean? I've read the descriptions, but I must be missing something because I'm not getting it.... :(

14. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    The Mesa 400+ is a pretty clean tube amp. The Ampeg SVT has that grind/growl/overdrive that I think you are describing. I've been tooling around with the idea of trading my Mesa for the SVT cuz I like that grind sound too. Don't get me wrong...the Mesa is a fantastic amp, but it's not as dirty as the Ampeg.

15. SVT II, does just what your wanting :)

If your getting an all tube ampeg head remember they are only 2 or 4 ohms, so if your getting a single cab, make sure its 4 ohms

16. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Just model #s. There's no magic to them that I aware of. The HLF cabinets are extended range cabinets, so it's no stretch to assume the "LF" is "Low Frequency."

Other than that, I have no clue.

17. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Has to be an SVT Classic or SVTII (with optional purchase of SansAmp Bass DI or RBI) :hyper:

Or just get a Tech21 Landmark 600.... :bassist:

Whatever funds allow :)

18. I was the proud owner of a MB 400+ 600w (not 500w). I don't know why but that's what it said on the back. Yes, this amp is as clean as it gets for midpriced amps. This thing was so clean and in your face it was disgusting. BUT...I ran the signal thru an alesis 3630 compressor, and then it came out of Mesa 2x15 & 2X10's, played thru an older passive warwick. Every show I got comments on tone, even from Jimbo - stand-up bassist for the Rev horton heat.

All I've had as far as ampegs was an old 8X10 svt cab, and an 80's svt 400t. Have yet to play any new models or cabs.

Once I played boogie, I have never bought anything else.
    I've downsized now and have the M2000 hybrid. Love it.

19. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I'd somewhat disagree with this . I have a Mesa 400+. (which, with 12 6L6s, runs about 280 watts RMS)

Although it is cleaner sounding than an SVT, it has plenty of tube character, and if you get either the channel volume, or the master cranked a bit, you definitely get some tube grit.

20. I am a terribly inept gear head, and know next to nothing about actual RMS and the like. I did have other 400+ users ask me how I was getting "that tone" cos they couldn't w/thiers, Maybe it was the compressor, maybe it was moded. You guys are the experts and I am the nOOB here. I'm just trying to expand my knowledge w/ your guys' help.