1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

thoughts on traben basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wnelson, Apr 14, 2009.

1. wnelson

wnelson

Aug 15, 2007
    dallas,tx
    so im selling my conklin gt7 to pay off a debt and to buy another 5 string to back up my main bass on stage....ive never heard of traben until i was on music123 yesterday....I did alot of research and found the pro's and cons to be about 50/50 from reviews...

i was most interested in the chaos core 5 model....especially becasue of the aguilar preamp upgrade..dual humbuckers(my favorite).. burl maple finish,and im a sucker for abnormal body shapes...to me,its a beautiful bass with some decent electronics,and a very BIG bridge.....and at what seems to be a good deal.

I cant find a local dealer that carries them in house,so playing one is out of the question...

so im pouring my faith into you guys for some feedback...i read some threads here,but it seemed most people had just gotten theirs and it was mainly ''first impressions''....

your thoughts,opinions......dont worry,ill wait:smug:

heres a link:
    http://www.music123.com/Traben-Chaos-Core-5-Electric-Bass-515971-i1396005.Music123

2. zachreh

zachreh

Mar 7, 2008
    south florida
    you cant go wrong with trabens i love mine and john moyer of disturbed plays one

3. braz_b2

braz_b2

Mar 17, 2009
    i like the growl they have.. although i cant get over the bridge.. a little cheesy for my taste

4. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

For the money they seem to be good basses.

5. wnelson

wnelson

Aug 15, 2007
    dallas,tx
    i should have mentioned im blocked from youtube at work...would love to hear soundclips...(even if im not a fan of disturb)
    but i do appreicate you attaching the link.

I just wanna know how versatile they are?

6. wnelson

wnelson

Aug 15, 2007
    dallas,tx
    if your talking about the bridges on the ''array'' models then im right there with you....those are an eye sore to me as well...the chaoses are just meaty looking...not all flashy with flame and tribal designs...:scowl:

7. There's a Traben club here somewhere... Here it is

FWIW, I like Trabens. I've played several and although they tended to be on the heavier side they sounded really nice. The necks are pretty slim on them.

8. wnelson

wnelson

Aug 15, 2007
    dallas,tx
    thank you for the link....and for mentioning a 'thin neck'' big plus for my average hands:smug:

im going to check out the club link.

9. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    It varies from model to model, I have one that has a very P-ish profile, and another thats smaller than my J's.

As for my thoughts, you'll see in the club link that I love 'em.

10. i always thought they looked silly, i do like the chaos ones though, the greg weeks one in particular looks nice

11. my experience from trying them in shops is that they are very well built basses...they sound very good,too

If you dig the huge, flashy bridge thing, give them a go...

edit: the newer "chaos" model doesn't have the crazy bridge and would be a great, wide-string-space alternative to a SR5

12. Sounds great!

13. azarias

azarias

Mar 19, 2009
    I just purchased a Chaos Core 5 with the Aguilar preamp etc.
    Sent it back 4 days later.
    The basic tone of it was just great! I was so happy at first...
    Then i listened more closely and realized it had a substantial amount of string buzz. I record direct often so i cant have that. Tried my usual setup adjustments. Nope cant kill the buzz above the 10th fret on the G and D string or anywhere on the B string.
    I took it to a good repair guy. He tried his best, but pointed out the humps in the wood from improper planing prior to fretting.
    Plus! the real kicker was the huge magnetic pull of those 5 string MM style pickups. To help with the buzzing they had to be dropped down OUT of their sweet spot.
    There was just no way to make it recordable so i sent it back.
    Total failure