1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thoughts on warwick rockbass corvette $$

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pbgonecrazy99, May 29, 2011.

1. I didn't see any reviews on here about it, and was wondering if anyone here owns it or has played it can tell me more about it. I don't have the money for the German one of course. But was wondering if it has a good tone, or if I should invest in a different one.

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The QC on Rockbasses is so bad I would not advise getting one unless you can carefully and knowledgeably examine it first.

Some -- a few -- are very nice. Most have fairly serious problems.

I've been through four. One was excellent, one was incredibly terrible, the other two needed serious remedial work.

Why they are so spotty, I don't know. :confused:

This seems to be the general experience of Rockbasses here.

3. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    hmmm....I've had 2 Rockbasses and both were shockingly great. One Corvette 5 string $$ and one Corvette Active 5 string. The Corvette Active was really the standout. I only just sold it to fund a Streamer purchase. The $$ was sold to buy a Thumb. The $$ I picked out myself at Bass NW and the 'vette I order from Musiscians Friend on clearance. Totally lucked out on that one.
    It is true though that the review overall have been spotty.

4. Ya, I guess I will have to go in and make sure the one I want isn't a pos. But for the corvette $$ 5string you had, how did it sound? Was it worth it, or would it be better to save a little bit more and buy something else?

5. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    I thought it sounded good but not very warwicky. I'd just save up a little at pick up a use Warwick corvette active. I'm not a fan of either of the $$'s. The sound great by themselves but tend to disappear in the mix.

6. guitar<bass

guitar<bass

Oct 25, 2005
    Kansas
    +1 on saving for a used german vette. I adore my (old version) RB vette standard though.. so to each his own. It had a wire loose in the control cavity but the bass has always played beautifully with low action.

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Rockbasses are badly overpriced unless you are getting them at crazy discount...which does happen, fortunately.

Personally, unless it was a dirt-cheap closeout, I would get something else, especially considering how many different things can be wrong with Rockbasses.

After going through some trainwreck examples, I got a replacement that looked perfect...beautiful. I thought, "OK, why couldn't you do that the first time?" :mad:

But the action was really high, so I put it aside to do a decent setup on it later.

[BTW, those little adjustment cards saying the action was set at specific heights are bunk -- they just put them in whether they actually set the height or not -- more fake QC.]

A month or two later when I had time to do the setup on the "perfect" replacement, I immediately found that every possible adjustment affecting action height was absolutely bottomed out.

The action was still high enough to roll a softball under. Uh oh...

So, no big deal, just toss a shim under the neck, right?

Wrong.

It has one of those moronic contoured-back pockets that you can't front-shim as on a normal square-back pocket.

To get this thing right, I'm going to have to hand-fit a full-pocket tapered shim, which is a lot of work, especially if you don't have a full luthier's selection of shim stock in various tapers from $tew-Mac on the bench. :meh:

Eventually I'll get to this, but you can see why I don't recommend these bases. Even if you know what you're doing these things can sneak up and bite you on the butt.

8. BitterRoot

BitterRoot

Mar 17, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I love my old model 2006 active, it's got a great growl to it. Idk about all these problems, it's been good to me

9. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Find a german one used if you don't have a number of the cheaper ones to try out on hand. I tried one at GC one time and it felt OK until the electronics suddenly died on me. My german made one, however, is pretty righteous. It's not going anywhere.

10. Ya I always wanted to have an authentic warwick. But I just can't afford one. I will just drive over to my local store and check the corvette $$ rockbass and an active corvette rockbass and see whats up. But the main reason I wanted to check out the $$ was that it looks so different that I wanted to see if it was good or not. Thanks for the input guys, and if anyone else has an opinion, feel free to.

11. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I would not do it, not at any price.

Aside from the usual problems, the Rockbass Streamer body is made out of construction-grade, coarse-grain framing spruce, like at Home Depot, which they pretentiously call "Carolena." It looks nothing like the wood in the illustrations.

So, whatever you think about using soft woods for solid bodies (and I don't personally think much of it), there's a real issue with it shedding hardware.

The first Streamer I got had the strap button pull out in my hand when I was unpacking it. The wood wouldn't hold the screw. Everything was stripped and loose all over it because the wood was so soft.

It's very, very soft and I personally don't think it has the strength to support that two-screw stopbar over the long haul. That's my biggest concern.

Other Rockbass models have saner body wood. The Corvette is alder, last I looked.

12. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    there's a used one for sale in the store i teach at ....it's feels pretty crappy ....

13. LimaGuy

LimaGuy The Godfather Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    NY
    Find a used German Corvette. The Rock Bass will satisfiy your craving for about a week then you will want a German anyway.

What price range are you looking in? I think you would be able to get a used German $$ from the Classified section of Talkbass or Ebay for the same price as a new Rockbass $$.

There are tons of Warwicks on Ebay but the prices are all over the place. There are rock basses for way too much and Real German for too little. (Most of them are not the $$ series)

I actually have a 2007 German Passive Corvette FS: listed in the classified section right now
    (not a sales pitch, just ,mentioning it.)

Really, go used German

Good luck

14. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    Sorry for the confusion. I meant a real Streamer. ba6ee2c6.

15. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Whew! ;)

16. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser

Feb 17, 2011
    New England
    I totally agree on the 'get a used German'. I did that with my Thumb (totally lucked out, I admit), but would only be happier with a spot on new version, but no way could I get it at the price I got the used one.

If you can get a used Rockbass Vette (pre 2010) at less than $400, than its a deal. The new ones are totally overpriced for what you get, too close to the new German Warwick prices. I think they are trying to compete with Ibanez and Schecter at that price point, but the quality is not equal to either IMHO.

Honestly, if you're considering a Rockbass Vette, you might as well save up a few hundred more over a few months or so and get a used German Warwick Vette. You will be MUCH happier. Really, quality and tone wise, its night and day.

Check out the Warwick Forum classifieds for deals. Those guys over there are really good eggs, and most offer reasonable prices and good advice too!

Good luck! :bassist:

17. Thanks, I think I am still going to go into a GC or something and try the $$ and active corvette rockbasses then go for the german corvette. I am sure the german one will kill the others, but if the others are decent I may buy one. But I am definately going to keep an eye out for the german corvette because they sound great.

Thanks for all the input, it was very helpful.

18. Gwardar

Gwardar Supporting Member

May 24, 2009
    Australia
    +1 to trying the German one, even used.

I tried the Rockbass Corvette in a shop, was OK, but no fireworks; didn't impress me that much. Same as other budget basses really.

Finally ended up with a German double-buck and this bass is fantastic! Thickest sounding bass I've ever played or heard. Very comfortable to play, heaps of tonal options. Beautifully made, sure winner.

I only hate the plastic trussroad cover that chipped first time I opened it :crying:. But that 's not enough not to give this bass all thumbs up.

19. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    Another vote for a used German $$.

20. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Ever since I first played a German Corvette $$, I've been thinking about one but I cant afford a new one and when a couple of used ones popped up, I didnt have the cash.

When my local Sam Ash got a Rockbass version, I couldnt wait to try it.
    MAN was I disappointed!! The one I played was decently setup and I didnt notice any severe construction flaws but the sound was.....meh.:(
    Its got the same pickups but no pre and it just doesnt sound nearly the same. Even though it has the series/parallel switching of the German model, the difference was practically invisible to my ears. NOTHING like the series/parallel switching on my G&L L2K!:eek:
    I had no problems with the feel of it but the sound was a total letdown for me. PASS!!!