1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thrash amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by txthrashking, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Simple question. I want that strong metallic attack (lots of bass and treble) . Example: Megadeth, suicidal tendencies, and death.
    Swr workingman 15 or ampeg pf350

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    For use in what type of situation?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    PF350 for sure.

4. RC52

RC52

Apr 10, 2010
    Laurens, SC
    +1 to Jimmy's suggestion the Ampeg !

5. +1 to jimmy
    +2 to spending an extra $100 on the pf-500.

6. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    +1 on the PF500, but if you want Dave's, Rob's, or Steve DiGiorgio's sound and tone, you'll want to throw in some mids into your EQ. You'll be surprised how much mids add to your mix. ESPECIALLY is metal. \m/

7. Only problem with the ampeg is its to basic. And I'm talkin about new suicidal. Like the 2010 re-recorded welcome to the family. And Dave never used ampegs so what the fuk. And leprosy era death not sound era.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So why did you ask about it? You wanted an answer about those two amps and you got it.

9. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    LOL no one ever said Ellefson used ampeg.

10. any amp will do that, you just need a good compressor and a light overdrive pedal.

11. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    Turn up the bass and treble?

12. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    so weird you gave out 2 choices and than argue that the choice that we made out of your choices is too generic.

13. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    As a strictly metal bassist I must say, You Sir, are the type of metal head that make the other genres of bassist think we are ignorant dumb arses. Good tone is good tone. Sonic landscape is sonic landscape. If you are going to be stuck with your EQ sounding like Fieldy, don't expect to sound like you want to be heard in the mix. They may feel you and hear your fret clank, but you will never truly be heard.

14. MopHarris

MopHarris

Apr 15, 2012
    I find my GK 1001RB-MK2 with 4x12 cab is fun for those kinds of tones, especially with a pick!

15. Mike in Chicago

Mike in Chicago Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    "so weird you gave out 2 choices and than argue that the choice that we made out of your choices is too generic"

I've seen that behavior before, and found it's called being a "askhole"...someone who asks for advice, then rips said advice and does the opposite.

I have a question to the OP...what kind of pick do you use when you "strum" your bass?

16. +1!

17. +1

I have found that in metal, with down tuning, loud gui****s, and even louder stage volumes, you need those mids. Low mids for the punch you want, high mids for the cut you want.

I can get a great working tone with my PF-500. Set the gain as high, that peak light should come on a fair bit. I leave ultra low and ultra high out (as everyone should almost always as they are a tone suck), bass and treble at noon, mid selector at position 1 and mids at around 3 o'clock. I use cabs with great mids, so the upper mids are covered.