1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Throw some delay at me....some delay at me...delay at me

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kabal, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Kabal

Kabal

Nov 8, 2007
    Looking through the vortex of choices for delay pedals and I've finally decided on what kind of features I'm looking for, but wanted to hear personal (horror) stories regarding your experience and suggestions as to what pedals I could add in my search. My parameters are thus... at least 600ms, small to medium (Sunny Day sizeish?) footprint and that's pretty much it. Here's my list of contenders so far. Let me know your experiences :)

TC Flashback
    Malekko Ekko
    Cmat pedals deeelay
    MXR carbon copy
    Echo baby
    subdecay anamnesis

Edit: Can't believe I forgot this but I also wanted it to be under $250. So far everyone has done that so thanks!

2. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I've had great results with both the Malekko and Carbon Copy. I love the fact that the Malekko has an internal dial to set the levels to match your bass's output and a True/Buffered bypass switch for the truly anal retentive among us.

It's hard to go wrong with either one.

3. miiitch

miiitch

Nov 27, 2011
    Germany
    got a TC flashback, awesome gadget ... no flaws for me, because i don´t use the loop :)
    can do anything from super clean delay to fluttery tape echo. i´m using a toneprint with reduced bass response in the delays.

for me, the best thing about it is the audio tap, i can adjust delay time more accurately than via using a footswitch.

4. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Line 6 Echo Park for me. Plethora of fantastic tones, gorgeous fluttery tape mode, easy to use tap tempo and small enclosure.

5. Just the Flashback for me. I'm never put any serious time with anything else. I like it. I know you're looking for a small footprint but the Timline gets a LOT of love.

6. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Jan 23, 2002
    Belgium
    I have the opposite experience. I use a TC Nova Repeater which has both the audio and foot tap tempo, and I find myself always using the footswitch. Footswitch is also the only way to go for adjusting the tempo mid-song (when the band speeds up...), as the audio tap mutes your signal (at least with the repeater, not sure of the flashback).

If you want a feature-laden delay with a good tap-tempo and the same great sounds of the Flashback for not too much money, I would add the Nova Repeater to the OP's list. It is a bit wider, but for a tap-tempo pedal still quite small.

7. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I think styrmon make the best delay based effects on the market. check the brand out

8. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    For the size and versatility, it's hard to beat the TC Flashback. The Line 6 Echo Park is cool too, but the unit is very heavy for its' size and I'm not a big fan of the tone dock design.

9. miiitch

miiitch

Nov 27, 2011
    Germany
    audio tap is perfectly fine, did some testing about how much i have to mute the strings, but it´s not difficult

but yes, it does mute the signal ... sure, who wants to hear your muted tapping?
    on the other hand, i doubt you can go for 150bpm triplets echo with a footswitch :p

10. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Biyang AD-7 Analog Delay. It fits the OP's size requirements, sounds good, has up to 1100ms on the long setting and is highly affordable.

11. Kabal

Kabal

Nov 8, 2007
    The El Capistan was certainly on my radar for a while but I don't know if I care for all that it offers and I don't think I want to spend $300 on a delay. And does this video accurately portray what people call the "warmth" and "sterility" of analog vs. digital?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4JfsYeWLZ8

12. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    You really need to play them yourself to find the difference. I personally only like analog delays. The feedback on them is much darker and more musical sounding to me. With the way I play, the digital repeats are too hard and tend to clutter up things. Analog has this wonderful haziness to it which allows notes and chords to melt into each other.

Even analog modeled digital delays still have too hard of a repeat for my taste it's one of those things that no matter how good the copy is it just can't replicate it for me.

13. falconspatriots

falconspatriots Oh Word

May 3, 2011
    connecticut
    +1 I've been through a few delays( MXR CC, L6 M9, Eventide Timefactor, Strymon Timeline) They're all good but the timeline is here to stay. The El Capistan is AMAZING as well. I put my guitarist onto it so he bought it. He still isn't sure if he's going to keep it. If not I told him I'd buy it so fast.

Under $250 I'd go with either the subdecay anamesis, mad professor deep blue delay, or a TC nova delay

14. The Carbon Copy meets your requirements, and it sounds great, but more and more I am missing the ability to set the delay time with tap tempo.

15. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    I have a flashback and like it. Used it for the first time with my bass this past week for a little slapback to fatten it up a bit. did the job perfectly. It eats batteries like they're peanuts though. I'd suggest a power supply for it.

16. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    Damn you all who suggested the Flashback. I just looked at one on Ebay and am now considering getting rid of my Akai Headrush and replacing it with the Flashback.

And I was happy with my board until then. :bawl:
    If I replace the Akai with that then I can fit another pedal on my board... STOP BRAIN STOP, MAKE THE GAS GO AWAY!!!!!:bawl:

17. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    you're welcome :D

18. The Malekko, CC and Flashback are all great options. The Flashback being the most versatile and the Malekko the most tweakable. Personally I use the CC because my delay needs are pretty low and it just sounds good.

If you go bigger, the Timeline is really in a world of it's own.

As for your board, you'll never be really happy about it ever again! TB does that to people.. Good luck!

19. Kabal

Kabal

Nov 8, 2007
    Thanks for all the great posts everyone. I'm surprised no one talked about the Anamnesis. Subdecay has come out with such great pedals recently, I figured at least a few would have jumped on their new delay. Still not sure what the purchase will be. I really do need to check some out in person. I don't think this can be a purchase I can only go into with just Youtube clip knowledge. If you think of or come across anymore cool delays that might meet what I'm looking for I'd still love to hear them!