1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thumb pain

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JesseVMT, Oct 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JesseVMT

JesseVMT

Apr 8, 2016
    I'm a pick player and recently I've been having a lot of pain fairly quickly, which isn't normal. The only thing different I've been doing is using different gauge picks and practicing different things, such as string skipping and more funk driven lines. Sometimes the pain travels from my thumb to my wrist, and lasts for awhile after I'm done.

Have you guys ever had this happen out of the blue? I would understand if I was new to using a pick, but I'm not.

2. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    Maybe finally all the stress of the way you hold the pick is catching up with you? I had different thumb pain in my fretting hand. About 6 sessions with someone who does Alexander technique and continued mindfulness has made the pain disappear. Alexander Technique is all about using muscles more efficiently. Tons and tons of people swear by it.

3. JesseVMT

JesseVMT

Apr 8, 2016
    I hope my muscles aren't stressed... I'm going to try holding the pick different. (Bass is my main instrument and the pick is my comfort area.) Also a lighter pick, I use(generally) pretty beefy ones. I haven't heard about the Alexander technique. I shall Google. And I was actually taught mindfulness today, it's tough.

4. BaileyMan

BaileyMan Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2012
    San Francisco
    Have you seen some of the posts about Carol Kaye's style of playing with a pick? Seems to be helpful in reducing possibility of injuries. I'm primarily a finger player, but have been starting to practice with a pick a bit. I notice that I tend to grip the pick very hard. I'm sure it's not healthy. I want to find a better way of picking that won't lead to injury.

I also worked with an Occupational Therapist (OT) who specializes in hands. He helped manage the pain and get the inflammation down, but it didn't address better technique which is where the Alexander Technique came in...

good luck!

5. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I had similar pain in my thumb a few months ago. I'm 46 and was wondering if it was the early signs of arthritis. The pain was pretty acute for a coupe of weeks. I bought a neoprene thumb brace at the drugstore, and took Advil and tumeric pills to reduce inflammation. Things started to feel back to normal after a couple weeks. I occasionally feel a little discomfort in the basal joint, but nothing that concerns me. If it comes back, I'll be paying my doctor a visit.

6. JesseVMT

JesseVMT

Apr 8, 2016
    Carol Kaye is a legend. And I need to review her words of wisdom.

Thanks for the replies guys!

7. Do this; Hold your hand as if doing a Karate chop. Now put your thumb inside your fist. Close your fist and move your wrist down toward your little finger. If it hurts see a Doctor. That Karate chop procedure is the way the Doctor will check to see if you have deQuervain's Tendinitis. Do a Google.

Bad technique strumming the rhythm guitar was my down fall. Just had the surgery. Fifteen minute operation, very little pain. Recovery seems to be about two weeks.

If you are lucky stop doing what you have been doing, get a thumb brace from Wal Mart and wear it while sleeping and yes to some Advil pills. This may help. Mine had gone too far and the operation was needed.

Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
    JesseVMT likes this.
  8. JesseVMT

JesseVMT

Apr 8, 2016
    Thanks

9. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Here ya go...!!! Check tips numbers 26 & 27 here :