1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Thumb

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Apr 25, 2006.

1. I use my thumb a lot. Like if I'm playing something on the high and low strings at the same time, I use my thumb. I also use it a lot for slower pieces, I just like the tone I get with it. I can play perfectly fine with my other fingers, but sometimes I just like using my thumb. Especially when I have to alternate strings quickly. For example, I think most of you are familiar with that John Patitucci practice/warmup exercise:
    -------7--------8-------7------8---------7--------8--
    --5--------6-----------------------------------------
    --------------------5------6-------------------------
    ---------------------------------------5------6------
    Anything with string alternation like that, I always end up using my thumb for the lower notes (when they go to the E string).
    Do you think this will hinder my abilities?

2. If it works and sounds good do it. If you could only play some notes with your thumb I'd be worried about having narrow technique, but it doesn't sound like that's the case. I find there is no faster way to play three rapid fire notes across three strings than to use thumb, index, and middle (or reverse). It's very efficient, even works for more strings if you can use more fingers. You're basically adapting guitar finger picking to bass.

Some guys even use the thumb in both directions, downstroke and upstroke like a pick. Hardly the conventional approach, but who can argue if it works. I've pulled that one out of the bag a few times when it fit.

3. Whatever sounds effective, is effective speed wise and feels right. Is right.

Shouldnt cause u any complications.