1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thunderbird Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TBird1958, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    A little Thunderbird love: here's my new (to me) bass and my new rig:

2. Showdown

Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I bought a short scale Tbird two years ago, but have been playing in bands where I needed 5 strings and more versatility since then so I haven't had a chance to play it on a gig until last night.

It sounded great, and is very lightweight and comfortable. The short scale makes the reach to the first fret much easier than on my long scale Tbirds. The nut is basically in the same spot it would be on a Fender style long scale bass, so I don't have to reach for that low F.

I don't have a pic with me playing it, but here it is on stage waiting for us to start.

AnnaOBriens_zps0331384c.jpg

PWV and Count Bassie like this.

3. Late reply again, I should check my subs more often, my tuners are GREAT at holding tune, I can bring it out my bag and go on stage confident I am In tune (I always check still). I wanna change them to see if they help combat the neck dive, and the vintage styled tuners in black are very aesthetically pleasing. I do love my 'bird, I'm just sure I'd love her more if she was working all good.

4. tbird46553

tbird46553 Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2012
    North Central IN
    When we met in '77 I knew we were meant to be together. Off the rack, with money saved for college. A year later the store owner offered me an identical one for half the $. Then in college for real, I passed. Sighhhhhhhhh.

Attached Files:

5. SlingBass4

SlingBass4

Feb 28, 2009
    Kansas City
    Good cut thru the mix sound! Nice combination of gear :bassist:

6. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    try your local repair shop, they'd probably sell you some screws.

7. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I bought this Bach TH-1 from Carlo (Cataldo basses) a few weeks ago I finally got around to getting it sorted out. Yesterday I used silicone caulk to attach the cover (bought on ebay made in Germany I think) to the Model G. Today was spent cutting and installing the pg, installing the tail piece, tug bar and doing the wiring. As always I love the sound of the model G. Sure makes a pretty convincing NR! HoneyburstbachTH-1conversion001_zps38584f58.jpg HoneyburstbachTH-1conversion002_zps8f9347a3.jpg HoneyburstbachTH-1conversion003_zps2bfaef2a.jpg

8. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    Loll, i havent gotten a chance to be around online much when my gf stays over and when we go out :D. I've toyed with the idea of installing clover tuners on my goth. But i figured, why change other than looks wise of the bass. I have no neck dive like i said cause i hang it pretty low & when i let it go, it stays in place or places itself parallel to the floor. It's also cause of the homemade leather belt straps that i make.

9. saltymonkey

saltymonkey Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Syosset, NY

Looks great Scott.

10. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    vivaknoxvegas and Chuter like this.
  11. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Great shots! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

12. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
  13. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    I think I saw this somewhere, but I want to see the latest:
    I want to put clover tuners on my new baby. The HB6C by Hipshot fit right? Do I need to drill any new holes? Do the paddles collide?

Thanks all!

14. Furious_Man77

Furious_Man77 Low frequencies since 1997

Jul 5, 2010
    Indiana
    Yes, no and yes. HB6C's 3/8" drop right in, I just put some on my 2014 and no new holes/filler was required. If you buy them off the shelf, the full size ones will overlap and touch when parallel. Call Hipshot sales directly and ask to order these with 'mini-clovers' for a Thunderbird - they are 7/8 size and do not touch at any point:

14RearHeadstock.jpg

15. Fletz

Fletz

Jan 16, 2009
    New Jersey
    Hartke artist
    Awesome. Thanks!

16. The middle of my bass is always just above my waist, and when I let her go she just slowly falls, it saddens me, but to boycott it I use my opti-grab handle :D. How was the build quality on your goth? Mines was honestly about 5/10, nut needed filed, bridge kept lifting out, and when I play it heavier the bridge buzzes slightly, and the body isn't consistent round the edges. Has yours had any problems?

17. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    Just bought a 2013 non-reverse T-bird. I'm trying to figure out the proper settings on my Genz-Benz shuttle series amp. It sounds quite different than my Musicman Stingray (which has active pickups). Any thoughts on it? I'm trying to get a fat, warm, old-style sound out of the T-bird

18. Dadagoboi

Dadagoboi CATALDO BASSES Commercial User

Jul 1, 2005
    Florida Swamp
    CataldoBasses: Designer/Builder ThunderBuckerPickups:Consultant
    Old-style fat and warm is not really a modern TBird sound. But try this:
    Start with neck pickup only. Set the Shuttle at 2 o'clock bass, 10 o'clock treble. Then play around with the mids. Gradually work in the bridge pickup if necessary.

To get closer to an old style sound, get a Streamliner. This is where I set mine for vintage TBirds:
    P1050653_zpsf44fec65.jpg

If you want the real thing, get this:
    P1040137_zps5d10a807.jpg

You can substitute an original NR for the Reverses.

Bassmike62 likes this.
  19. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    I've got a chance at getting either two usa gibson thudnerbird pickups for 80$ (the post 88 thunderbirds) or a dimarzio model G pickup for 35$. Which should i get? If i get the tbird pups, i'd swap out my epiphone goth pickups for them, but if i get the model G, i'd have that pickup and be a step closer to recreating my dad's first thunderbird

20. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I would install Model G under a chrome cover over modern Thunderbird pickups (black plastic.) While Model Gs are higher output (about 14k) than a 60's Tbird pup they are a true humbucker and to my ears have some of the qualities of a 60's Thunderbird pup. The Model G will have the harmonics and mid range shimmer of a 60's pickup but they can be a little woffie on the low end. Next to 60's Thuderbird pickups Model Gs are my favorites. Having said all that I would put Thunderbucker pickups in your bass. They are the best sounding repro Thunderbird pickups out there imho. http://www.thunderbuckerranch.com/pickups.html My model G powered NR Fenderbird through Hiwatts and Marshalls. http://youtu.be/gvFX4GmKiYo

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021