1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

thunderbird pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jelenko, Sep 17, 2010.

1. jelenko

jelenko

Jan 21, 2008
    i want to make my own thunderbird, but i cant decide on the pickus. i cant find those gibson humbuckers that they put on to buy. i found out that lollar makes epiphone thunderbird replacements. any others? is the bartolini replacment any good? i want the raw huge vintage sound that the gibson has, not a modern sound, has anybody tried them.

2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    If you are looking for that vintage '60s Thunderbird tone the only option at the moment are Mike Lulls repro Thunderbird pickups at 289.00 each. http://www.mikelull.com/t bass parts.htm The '89 and up TB plus ceramic humbuckers sound nothing like the 60's units and nor will any of the replacements you mentioned. As a side line the '76 reissuies pickups don't sound anything like the 60's units either totally different animal. Another option is the Seymour Duncan custon shop they make a nice repro tbird pup but you have to supply the cover.

3. jelenko

jelenko

Jan 21, 2008
    tnx. quite expencive. i'll think about it. meenwhile, any cheaper sugestions? :)

boy, you go one inch out of fender teritory and you're in trouble :crying:

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I agree. That's why most of what I make is way outside Fender territory!

The problem is getting those chrome covers.

I've done T-Bird pickups on a custom basis. There was a guy on eBay that sold the covers. Then I just built a repro pickup to go inside. I've also put my neo pickups in the T-Bird covers.

neothunder_1.jpg

If you don't have to have those chrome covers and don't mind plastic covered soapbars, then that opens things up a bit. You can have sound alike pickups in something like an EMG-35 cover.

5. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    greatdealz1967 is the guy on ebay who sold those covers, I bought as many as I could ! I believe he is all out, wish I had bought more. Ain't that the truth "step outside Fender territory and you are in trouble" lmao . It's the curse of being a Gibby player. IMG_4460.jpg

6. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Yes, that was the one. I also got a LP bass neck and Triumph bass pickup cover.

Is that a DiMarzio Model G, or a Schaller Bassbucker at the neck?

I had one on my 8-string back in the 80's. I wasn't all that happy with it.

[​IMG]

7. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
  8. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
  9. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    LOL good eye! Yes that is a Dimarzio model G, I love the way they sound ! I have them in several stage basses, The model G is now covered by one of greatdealz '76 chrome covers cause I may like how model Gs sound they are fugly ! Charwithmytbird001.jpg A NR Fenderbird I built for stage use also powered by a model G kicks *ss 2326845380083345702KEjiTE_ph.jpg

Heavy Blue and ezra1 like this.
  10. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    This is my bands promo video. The only stuff not a model G powered bass is the Zep Tunes. Model Gs are not for everyone but they work for me. Amps are a Hiwatt Marshall combination.

11. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I have the Bart version in my homebuild non-reverse, and tho the vibe is not spot on, it is a RIDICULOUSLY good pickup for the 80 bucks I paid. So dead even, ballsy, and HOT.

12. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Sounds good. It was too midrange heavy for my 8-string, too grungy and clangy. I was trying to warm up the tone of the bass with a neck pickup. I fixed that problem by making a new neck! That used to be a '74 P bass.

You know they are exactly the same coils from an X2N guitar pickup. They just removed the blades and used the hex screw poles. I ended up making 1/8" thick steel blades for mine and I stuck it in a guitar I had. It sounded great in that.

13. jelenko

jelenko

Jan 21, 2008
    good for you! Not that there's anything wrong with fenders, i own a precision, but theres SO MUCH to chose from, as long as it's for fenders. Not for fenders, you are on your own :scowl:

would I be asking for trade secrets if I asked you for specs to make my own Thunderbird pickup?

Godofthunder, those basses are to die for. And you sound cool! :bassist:

hover: thank's for the bart comment. how would you say it differs from the original soundwise? pros, cons and overall doferences? I love all barts i've tried, but my concern is that they might not be as ballsy.

14. doesn't lollar make lull's t-bird pickups not the covers

15. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    The ones I have made so far were my neo humbuckers in the Thunderbird covers.

I think I have the specs for the real Gibson pickups around somewhere.

16. jelenko

jelenko

Jan 21, 2008
    wow, I hope you find them :hyper:

if compensation is needed please PM me with details :)

17. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    I ordered a set of Seymour Duncan SSB-4 for my epi pro. Close to Gibby specs good reviews and about 110.00 shipped for the set

18. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    PM sent.

19. 2hip2b4real

2hip2b4real

Aug 23, 2003
    Sorry to butt in but does anyone know what pickups Pino Palladino used in the Superbowl a couple of years ago?

20. Thunderbucker

Thunderbucker Commercial User

Jun 19, 2011
    Owner, builder, brewmaster, bottle washer, Thunderbucker Ranch pickups
    Likewise sorry to post on an old thread, but:

I make two different versions of repro Gibson Thunderbird pickups, based on reverse-engineered 63 and 66 models. Sold as singles or matched pairs. 2011 price: $165 single, $320 the set. Matching nickel silver trim rings also available.

Steve

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021