1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Thunderbird pups on a jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pallino, Mar 23, 2009.

1. pallino

pallino

Feb 2, 2008
    The Netherlands
    Hi there
    as anybody ever tried that?I really like the Thunderbird sound,but I really cannot stand the setup of this kind of bass - the neck is way too "far out" for me...I was thinking that maybe it could be somewhat nice to have these old style chrome t-bird pups on a jazz...;)

2. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    Mike Lull is making T bird pickups, I think he's selling them aftermarket.

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    There are also replacement pickups available from Arctec, Rio Grand, and Bartolini. With the exception of the Arctec, be prepared to spend a little cash.

Your other choice is to look for a Fender Zone Deluxe, which came about as close to a Thunderbird that I've ever heard from a Fender. Again, be prepared to spend a little dough.

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    There is a TBer who done just this, got a Jazz body, and added his Thunderbirds neck, and pickups.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Don't know how it will sound, but I doubt you'd exactly cop a Tbird tone out of it. The body wood, (mahagony), and what not will have an impact on the tone. I'm not saying don't do it, far from it, but just that it may not turn out exactly like you want. Have fun and good luck in any case.

6. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    I think it might sound like Berry Oakley's "Tractor" bass, which was a modified Jazz bass.

7. johnnycat42

johnnycat42

Feb 27, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I have been thinking the same with my Jag Bass. Anyone already do this yet?

8. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    As stated above a lot of tone is from the mahogany construction, although the EPI bird pickups are made for Fender type construction & woods and might be a better bet.

You could just get a Gibson IV or V, which is essentially a Tbird in Fender form

This is an ugly one, but they also came in natural mahogany

338f_1.