Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderfunk para EQ question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kael, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Does anyone know what the Q is on the thunderfunk's parametric EQ? Didn't notice it in the manual, and thought I'd ask here before pestering Dave. Don't suppose knowing will change how I use it, just curious.

2. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    I'm not familiar with the Thunderfunk, but for general explanation of parametric eq, see

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_articles/mar95/eq.html

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Articles/Equalization/ (scroll down to Parametric Equalizers)

The Q setting controls the bandwidth of frequencies that you are going to boost or cut if you were to set the gain control above or below zero. A very narrow Q lets you cut or boost just at one specific sweet spot (usefull for dialing out a room resonance, typically affecting just one or two notes on your bass), where as a broader Q allows you to cut or boost a wider range of frequencies (eg some boost at 800Hz with a rather wide Q is often used to emphasize fretless mwooOOAAAAaahhhhhhh).

3. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I know what a Q is. Perhaps I did not word my question well enough. The thunderfunk allows you to vary the freq and amount of cut/boost, but not the Q. I was wondering if anyone knew what the Q is set to on the thunderfunk.

4. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    He says in the manual one octave (either side? I've forgotten) around the center frequency

5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks...
    I must be reading impaired. I read through the manual a couple of times looking expressly for that info and did not see it.

6. I don't think the EQ on the TF is a fully parametric type...
    could be wrong. Is not a called a semi-parametric?

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    actually,

how are you guys digging the EQ on the TF? is it drastic? or is it subtle?

since LOTS of guys like Tommixx seem to dig the uber punchie TF w/ the neutral Accugroove cabs, i'm hoping the TF'll be a great match for my Acme B2. i LOVE my iAMP w/ my Acme B-4, but some reason that same mojo doesnt quite translate to the little B2. :(

8. EQ on the TF is amazing.... mostly amazing because if you check all the posts from users, the vast majority of use use the amp virtually 'flat', with just a little tweak of the enhance and timbre. My basic setting is around 9 o'clock on the enhance... which adds just a little bass and treble, and the timbre contol at just a slight turn to the left of center (maybe 11:30), which just adds a hint more low end punch. Combine that with the switch, that adds some more somewhat subtle voicing, and it just sounds great. I have yet to touch the four band semi-parametric or the Bass and treble controls!

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    ahhh,

but that semi-para EQ is where i live! and holy crap, is that a celinder in your avatar?! :eek:

10. Yes it is! It is the most wonderful bass I've ever owned... totally 70's J Bass on Steriods sort of thing.

The TF is very, very different from the iAmp800 (which I owned for a while). It will be interesting to hear what you think comparing the two.

11. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Yep, the EQ is semi-paramteric, and not fully parametric. I'm just really lazy and didn't feel like typing the extra "semi" in there.

I am actually going back and forth between flat with slight timbre/enhance tweaks and using that SEMI ( ;) ) parametric EQ. The switch is more noticeable once you start EQ'ing (at least to my ear).