Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunderfunk VS. Markbass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kas_lar, Feb 21, 2006.

1. kas_lar

kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Denmark
    I've been filling this lovely website with questions about pros and cons about have a combo or a small rig..

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230329&highlight=california+blonde

I've decided to buy the GK Neo 12", but now I kinda need a good amp. I've already been searching this forum for help.
    I can get a good used Thunderfunk 420, for the the same price of a brand new Markbass Little Mark II....

Which of them do I chose?

2. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    TFB enjoy.

3. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Hmm...

I like chocolate personally.

4. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    LM II should be about half the weight of the TFunk but at how light these are I doubt that matters significantly.

I would like to see the results because I haven't had the chance to try either yet.

5. since you know where to get a markbass head new, i suggest playing it through your new GK cabinet. then do the same thing when someone offers a thunderfunk head for sale. then decide based on tone.

alternatively, you can buy a thunderfunk head used and compare it at the store to the markbass. if you prefer the markbass, sell the thunderfunk for what you paid for it. if you prefer the thunderfunk, keep it and be happy.

robb.

6. kas_lar

kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Denmark
    Hey ya'll and thanks for posting...
    I ain't in a position to try out either of the amps. I've got to order the Markbass from Germany, and the Thunderfunk from the other side of my country (Denmark)....

That's I'm in great need of your help and advice on these 2 amps. I must say that the choice is difficult, I was looking for a light weight rig, but the thunderfunk seems to be more powerfull and still is quite low on weight. But have big dimensions......

7. Bassossorus

Bassossorus

Oct 21, 2004
    CHICAGO
    I have both and prefer the tone of the LMII. Add to that the weight and the fact that it is really loud and the decision is very easy.

8. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Can you go a bit more in depth as to why you prefer the LMII? What is the tone like compared to the Thunderfunk? How powerful is it?

9. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Well the Thunderfunk is 420W@4ohms IIRC and the LM is 500W@4ohm..

Anyway, I played the LMII and the Eden WT550 (which is supposedly very similar to the TFB) and the Eden won for me hands down. I also find that the TFB should be more versatile, with more powerful EQ, so it might be a wiser choice as you can't play either one.

Anyway, I'd buy the TFB. If you don't like it, you can resell it with little or no loss at all, whereas if you don't like the LM you won't be able to sell it for the same price.
    Good luck

10. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Don't judge the thunderfunk on its power spec's. I have a TFB 550 (500 watts) that puts out more volume than other 1K watt heads I've used. Try them both, and buy the one that suits you better.

11. +1 on that. Published wattage is pretty useless. The TF is a VERY loud 500 (now 550 for the new 'b') watts.

12. Bassossorus

Bassossorus

Oct 21, 2004
    CHICAGO
    I haven't gotten too scientific about it... my favorite amp/tone of all time is the
    aggie DB 750. I have been able to get a tone similar to the 750 more easily with both my accu tri 210 and aggie 112 using the LMII. It is a very, very loud 500 watts.

couple this with the smaller size and 1/2 weight and it was approx. 1/2 the price....well...

13. I own an ampeg & an old valve amp(Aus. made Eminar) & I've tried the Markbass - top of their line head-with the "tube" in it, & to me anyway- the Markbass lacks ANY tone - I mean U can hear it etc but it just LACKS - a lot IMHO! I've played thru & been in the audience.
    dunno nuthin 'bout the TFB tho'
    get an AMPEG ROD.

14. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    When you say the Eden or TFB has more powerfull eq, are
    you saying that the Eden or TFB has more eq options, or
    more happens when you turn the knobs? For instance, my
    AI Focus has four band eq, but turning the knobs has very
    little effect on the tone. Are you saying the Markbass amp
    is the same as the Focus in that respect?

15. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Well... both. The Eden and TFB have a very very powerful semi-parametric eq.

16. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Sorry. I was grouping the Eden and TFB together. When you
    turn the bass control up on the Markbass, does it do
    little or almost nothing, like the Focus, or can you add
    some "juice" with the controls? I realize the other amps
    have much more complex tone options, I'm just wondering
    if the LM II tone controls work at all, or if they are more
    like the Focus.

17. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Note: A difference of 80w in this power range is so close that it's almost not worth mentioning. There are other factors which will make more of a difference in which amp is preferable.

And it doesn't look like you can even get 420w Thunderfunks anymore unless the store is selling old stock. The latest model is 550w.

18. kas_lar

kas_lar

Jan 12, 2005
    Denmark
    Now this is what I like! Lots for different advice, opinions and shoutouts...
    I don't know if any of you have read my profile, but I looking for a small setup.I've got the classic GK 800Rb and a EBS 4x10" .... that's pretty much as powerfull as I need. It looks like the Markbass is the winner. But keep them post coming, I havn't decided it, and we're all getting info about the 2 amps.

19. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´ve owned a Gibson GB440 (just like a TF420) and I´ve got a LittleMark II on the way as we speak. It will hopefully be here this week. I´ll make sure to update here asap.

20. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Yes, I got that in the first place. I can't really talk about the LMII, I only fooled around with it at the shop for 10 maybe 15 minutes, but the eq is definitely not as powerful as my Eden's (and I suppose TFB too). Not to say that it did nothing, just less than the Eden.