Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

thunderfunk.. with 4x10??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Piedro, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    i've read a lot of your message.. and every one of you seems to prefer cabs of 12" with the thunderfunk..
    is someone try it with a 4x10?
    i'm looking for an Aguilar GS410?
    is the thunderfunk gonna have enough power? what are you thinking about that??

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i would reccomend going with a 4 ohm 410 with the t-funk. reports from guys who know better than me say that the t-funk is a bit louder than the eden or swr 400 watt amps. even an 8 ohm 410 would be loud enough for a lot but i'd probably go with a 4 ohm model just to use all the watts. And yeah, it's gotta sound good. The t-funk sounds similar (but not the same so no rock throwing :bag: )
    as swr/edn amps, and those are great with a 410.

3. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Thanks IvanMike,

and would you recommend Aggie 410, or..maybe i should go with Accu-groove El whappo.. but damn there not cheap!

4. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    and don't forget guys that i'm in Canada.. and i have to pay a looot taxes a to have your things! :rolleyes:
    i'm not lucky like you are... :rollno:

5. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    The most popular cab with the Thunderfunk is the AccuGroove Tri 210L. Don't think of this as half a 4x10. It's a full-range loud cab. The El Whappo is the only cab anyone would ever need, but starting with a Tri 210L and then adding a Whappo Jr. would be a better choice. Remember, the AccuGroove's have the AccuSwitch that changes the impedance form 4 to 8 ohms so you can always match impedances for full power.

Scotty Simpson, bass and bandleader for Travis Tritt uses a 400-watt Thunderfunk with an Ampeg 8x10 and says it's loud enough for arenas.

6. Piedro

Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    thanks... that's the answer i needed.. :hyper:
    now all i need is..money! :meh:

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    now THAT is funny.

you and i must be related. :p

8. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    I use it with an Ampeg SVT6x10-HLF. Sounds killer! That deep "concert bass" tone, yet it is warm and has a nice presence that mixes perfectly with my two guitar band.

Lync

9. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I use my TFB-420 with an 8 ohm SWR Goliath III 410 and it sounds great. Plenty loud enough for most gigs I play. If you always play with the 410 only I'd agree that you'd be better to get a 4 ohm cabinet. In my situation when I require the extra volume I always use either my Berg 8 ohm HT210 or SWR Goliath Jr. III 210 with the Goliath 410 which brings the impedance down to 4 ohms. IMO 6 10's sound even better than the 410 cabinet alone.