Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Thunkderfunk and 21012

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, Jan 14, 2006.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Alright TB here's a little update on my rig.

Not too long ago I pulled together a Thunderfunk TFB550 and two Bag End S15Ds (one being and XD)

I got these originally because my 1210 wasn't cutting it (I should have waited until I got the T-Funk until I dumped to make an informed decision). However recently I got a chance to acquire a Schroeder 21012 (thanks Larry). So we're going to have Schroeder round two.

My questions are as follows.

I'm dumping my Bag Ends because I'm just not getting the low mid girth I need to in my live situation. They are FANTASTIC for mid punch and volume, but they lack a big larger than life presence. I assume some of that has to do with my amp, but I'm not willing to part with the T-Funk (it's just TOO versatile, and sound great!)

Do you think the 21012 will bring back the low mid girth i've been missing (especially given my schroeder experience is evolving from a front firing 12 and side firing 10 [1210] to two front 10s and a side 12 in a bigger box [21012])? I have no doubt that the cab will be just as loud as the Baggie stack and maybe a bit smoother (I can definitely hear the "hard mids" so many people talk about). Or is my amp a factor that's bigger than the cab here?

Also - this is just for you T-Funk users out there. How hot does your amp get during gigs? I swear that after about an hour of hard playing - I can cook and egg on the belly of my amp. Is this to be expected? I have the fan on and the amp has never shut down (Dave told me that every component is rated to perform at 400 degree C). I just worry sometimes. You know a loose solder joint is one thing but heat damage sucks.

Thanks,

M

2. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    want low mid girth?

crank the 100Hz range on the TF, and call me in the morning. :) the timbre and EQ section of the TF is one of the more well voiced and versatile sections i've ever used in an amp.

and honestly, if you're pushing the TF that hot, maybe its time to upgrade to something more powerful like a DB750.

3. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Adjusting the eq will make the Schroeder dance even more than it does all on it's own. Keep in mind that while Schroeders sound great played by themselves at home, they really shine in live ensemble performances. You'll probably find some slight tweaks between the two.

As far as heat is concerned, I normally play 4 setters and can't believe how cool my TFB550 runs. Maybe you play louder than I do tho. How high do you run your volume? I generally run my TF no higher than 5 on a Schroeder 1212. Not only is it brain damage loud, but it cuts through the band mix like a hot knife through butter. EQ could really be the answer here. Tweak those mids and adjust the lows just a bit and you might find more volume and projection with less power. It really does take some time to baseline your personal settings, but it pays great dividends later on. Plus the timber and enhance knobs on the TF are absolute genius for tweaking to any particular room or bass you're using without dinking too much with your standard eq.

Do keep the fan running, try to keep the front and back open to allow for more air circulation. Some players carry an extra fan to blow more air across the chassis for dissipation.

4. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Thanks for the advice. I do agree that the Timbre knob is amazing (i usually keep it at 12 o clock but when I need more boom) I'll keep going with the T-funk.

As for the heat - Smash i think you're right as the chassis is the heat sink - i do remember dave saying how he switched to an aluminum chassis for this reason (i'm pretty sure) I usually run the master at 5 and the gain at 5 and it pumps out the BTUs. the other day I ran it with the master wide open and the gain at about 3-4.

Well Soon I will have the TB hype rig with the T-Funk and the Schro.

:D

~m

5. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I had the same concern about my TFB heating up. I was used to powering down my amp inbetween sets to cool it off, but keeping it on to let the fan do its bit helps. My TFB550 runs quite hot after three sets with input at noon and the output at 11:00. I just haven't seen the need for more volume than that. My only concern is that I have mine in a two space gator rack, and sometimes I worry that I isn't going to get enough air. I might go back to a 4 space case (ick, bulky) or just go naked.

Never used either Bag End or Schroeder cabs, but I will say that I can't imagine a lack of lows or low-mids ever being a problem attributable to a thunderfunk. Mine can get thick as all get out with my EA nl-210.

6. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The TFB doesn't vents on top that I remember...I have mine in a 3 space gator rack with a dtr tuner on top. I typically run input at 4, ooutput at 5, and eq basically flat with timbre a little to the right or left depending on room and instrument. I leave the fan on...one time I forgot to turn it back on after a recording session, and it was pretty warm at the gig-nothing bad happened tho;)

Ask Dave about heat if it really concerns you