Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ti "infeld" strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by l0calh05t, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Did anyone here try the "Infeld Bass" strings from Thomastik-Infeld yet? If yes, I'd like to hear your oppinions on them?

2. Wings

Wings

Feb 6, 2005
    Bellport, NY
    I tried 8 different brands and types of strings trying to find the "sound" I wanted for acoustic Blues. I play a Fender J bass.

I liked the sound of the Fender flatwounds and the TI flatwound Jazz strings. However, I found the Fender strings inconsistant in their sound. The E A and D were good, but the G was way too bright for my liking.

The TI Jazz strings were perfect for me. The only quirk I ran into (and I had heard about in advance) was that it takes about 2 weeks for them to settle down. During that time they are fairly bright, but after 2 weeks the extra brightness goes away and they are great.

Wings

3. I was not asking about thomastik-infeld strings in general but rather about the "infeld bass" strings. ( these: http://www.thomastik-infeld.net/joh...e=Guitar&ID_Setfamilie=28&ID_SetfamilieSub=54 )

@Finger Blister:

that's not what I was talking about either... see above

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think most people are calling those Superalloys. I don't have any experience with them, but I know there are at least a few members of TB that have. Try a search here in the Strings Forum for: "Superalloy" or "Super Alloy". You should find a few threads about them...

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yep. The Infeld strings are more commonly known as Superalloys. Do a search for that, and you'll find plenty of opinions.

I've got 'em, and love 'em.

6. hyoshim

hyoshim Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    +1
    I have used it on my Cirrus 5. My quest for good match with my bass ended with DR Highbeam.

7. xpcapox

xpcapox

Nov 19, 2004
    Currently rocking these,great sound.

8. bassplayerEADG

bassplayerEADG

Jan 29, 2005
    Florida
    I've used both the TI Jazz Flats JF344 and the Fender Flatwounds 9050ML. I love them both but they are very different. The TI flats have more of an upright bass, late 60's sound. I use them on my Gibson Thunderbird. The Fenders are a little brighter and I use them on my Jazz Bass. The JF344 have very low tension and it was hard to find the right adjust point for the truss rod. The 9050ML's are a little higher tension. The Fender strings are much cheaper , but I recently found the TIs on the internet for around $38 including shipping. The Fender strings are $16 (without shipping).

Bass Player magazine did a great article on testing a very large number of strings. It was late last year or early this year.

9. Again, this thread was about TI Infeld aka Superalloy strings.

I have a set of JF345 on my fretless and they actually seem pretty high-tension to me, even when compared to the .050-.110 rotosound roundwound set I have on my fretted bass. The jazz rounds otoh are pretty low tension.

10. I put them on my DeArmond and it's like a whole new bass now. They are nice and clear and cut through amazingly. The Fender B I got on it is even more amazing. First B I've had that cut through.

11. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I just put a set of the Superalloys on my MusicMan Bongo and gigged with them this past weekend...

I think that they are OK, but not great, roundwounds.

First, let me state that my Bongo is fairly new, so the only other strings that I have used with it were the original Ernie Ball Slinkys.

The first thing that I noticed was that the tension was a little higher than I expected. Whether that is a "+" or a "-" depends on the individual, but I prefer lower tension strings.

When I played thru my gig rig for the first time, I thought that the Superalloys made my bass sound "bigger", but with a little less definition. Like other reviews I have read, I agree that they sound like broken-in roundwounds right out of the package. I also noticed that the Superalloys were a little shy in the mids. In a band mix, I had to boost both the high and low mids on my Bongo to get where I like to be.
    One area where I thought the Superalloys excelled was in pick-tone. I play about 4 or 5 songs with a pick during a gig, and I was very happy with the pick-tone. Good attack and presence without being harsh in the upper register.

The bottom line - I don't think I'll buy another set of Superalloys. There are other nickel roundwounds that I like more - DR Sunbeams, D'Addario XLs, Ernie Ball Slinkys, etc..., and these strings cost le$$.

I'm thinking about trying some Dean Markley Blue Steel Nickels next...

12. bassplayerEADG

bassplayerEADG

Jan 29, 2005
    Florida
    OOPS, sorry!