Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ticking Time Bomb!!! :)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by iareplaythebass, May 18, 2004.

1. Alright, this is gonna sound really wierd to some of you, but I think it would be hilarious to wire a digital timer to the inside of my car. When you openend the hood, it would start counting down from 10 seconds in big red letters and beep at each second, like every bomb in every movie does... The question is, how do i do it?!? Any ideas? sugestions?

And please don't post things like "that's really irresponsible, blah blah blah" I get enough of that from my ex ;)

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Disclaimer: thats really irresponsible - the guys at your local garage may call the bomb squad who wouldnt take to kindly to the joke.

That said - you could probably buy a little timer like that from radio shack (or whatever its called) and power it with a single AA battery. All you would need is a little switch that completed the circuit (and started the timer) when the hood is opened (kind like the light on your car door or fridge).

It would really take about 20 minutes to rig up tops - and you could spend years in jail for it :D

3. Do it!! Do it!! ;) :D

4. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    Do it.

What, a person can't have a timer?

5. i think it's a great idea!

6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    what are you gonna say to people?

"HEY OPEN MY HOOD TO SEE WHAT STARTS TO COUNTDOWN!!?"

....not even worth the rolls eyes

7. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    That is pretty retarded, actually.

8. I concur, but not as profoundly.

9. Most practical jokes are retarded, but still hilarious :)

And MarkLatimour.... thanks for pointing out how irresponsible it is, your conscientious point of view brightened my day! :rolleyes: :rollno: :smug:

10. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    What are you guys talking about? It'd be great to play a trick like that on a friend. :D

11. Word. :smug:

12. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I have a friend and former co-worker that I am sure is the basis for many urban legends in the law-enforcement community. In addition to the job he and I worked at, he worked on what was then the worlds largest walk-through haunted house.

For ten months of the year he would help prepare the house for October. They would be open October first through Halloween, Then take a month off to rest.

So in mid Spring he would be taking things out to the site of the Haunted House. These things would typically not be the kind of stuff you expect to see in a vehicle. My favorite was the time he was delivering a load of 'bodies', mostly silicone mannequins made to look like tortured dead people and parts of tortured dead people. The tarp he had over them started coming off and blowing all over the place. A helpful-minded State Trooper decided that he should re-tie his tarp and pulled him over.

When the Trooper discovered the several 'murder victims' in the back of the truck, he quickly had Mike face down in the gravel, being handcuffed with a gun to the back of his head. Years later Mike could entertain crowds at parties by describing the way he tried to calm the Trooper by saying, repeatedly, "They're not real. They're NOT REAL. THEY'RENOTREAL!" The trooper was NOT calmed by Mikes hysteria. A friend of mine who is a cop here in Arlington says many serial killers literally don't believe that their victims are real people. If the Trooper thought that that was what Mike meant, that could be part of why he kept Mike down on the ground until his backup arrived and found that the bodies were not, in fact, real.

He also had an alarm clock that was attached to a bundle of painted sticks that looked much like every dynamite bomb you ever saw in a movie. He brought it to work to have me work on the clock (Back then I was an electronics technician.) After I fixed the clock, he put it in his car and kind of forgot about it. It was sitting on the passenger front seat when he decided to drop in at the mall to get something or other. He came out of the store to find the Police taping off a big area around his car and waiting for the bomb squad to arrive. They were less than thrilled with his explanation.

13. Just build in a little switch so you can disable it, and put a note on or something. Just make sure people can see it's not real (it's the first scare that counts anyway)

Maybe I'll try this on my teachers at the end of the school year :D

Naah, I wouldn't, but I got this friend who would be crazy enough :eek:

14. girlybassplaya

girlybassplaya Guest

Mar 24, 2004
    USA BABY!

15. girlybassplaya

girlybassplaya Guest

Mar 24, 2004
    USA BABY!

hey now sweety. . . that was a good idea. you just dont want it to be you he tries it on because you are a wussy. . . :bag:

16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    the only way it would be funny is if for some reason a cop happened to be the first one... the funny part would be watching yourself trying to talk your way out of handcuffs

17. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    In this day and age, any weapon or explosives-related prank is not a good idea, even if they're fake. Law enforcement will take it just as seriously as the real thing until they KNOW for sure it's fake. Until then, it's gonna be an uncomfortable few minutes with your face in the dirt and a knee in your back.

A friend of mine almost got shot by a cop for a pair of foam toy nunchucks.

18. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Okay, I've been watching this thread for two days and I just a have to say - I don't get it :meh: The timer would be inside the car and countdown from ten. It would be trigered by opening the hood. Am I right so far? The person who is outside the car to open the hood would not see the timer inside the car. Who would the prank be on and how would it work? :confused:

19. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    From what I gather, the timer would be under the hood, as well.

20. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    You must be right. I had taken "inside of my car" to mean in the cabin/interior. I would have thought that under the hood would be refered to as under the hood or engine compartment. I guess I should stop trying to make sense out of somebody named "iareplaythebass" ;)