Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tightest Rhythm Section Ever?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Aug 29, 2005.

1. I just got the new Poncho Sanchez CD Do It! , and I was listening to the song "Squib Cakes", in which he has Tower of Power playing on.

Man, does it get any tighter than the Prestia/Garibaldi groove? It's like they share the same brain! Sick. Then add Poncho on percussion and it is a dream!

Oh, great CD, by the way!

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I've always thought that the Dennis Chambers/Gary Grainger combo on Scofield's Pick Hits Live was ULTRA-TIGHT.

3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    As for Rockalternativewhatever, I always thought Billy Gould and Mike Bordin of Faith No More were pretty damn tight (on the recordings, at least, haven't seen a lot of live material but what I caught sounded good). Puffy is pretty damn amazing and his ability to groove really shines on the poppish FNM tracks.

Wasn't he also one of the first popular drummers who used "proper" technique, i.e. playing the snare with your right hand? I'm not much of a drummer but my band's drummer swears by it and says it's superior to the old-school drumming method. He teaches kids drums at a music school and is pretty damn good so I tend to believe him.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    FNM's Bass N' Drum interaction was ultra tight, they probably get my vote.

But I'd like to add Sting/Copeland... very tight syncopated stuff.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Rage Against the Machine
    Dream Theater

6. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Terry Lewis/Jellybean Johnson the Time's rythm section along with Monte Moir and Jimmy Jam was one of the tightest outfits there was.

7. I wasn't really trying to do a "who is better than who" thread. Prestia/Garibaldi isn't even my favorite rhythm section. I just thought the song on the new Poncho Sanchez disc was tight!

8. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Poncho Sanchez smokes! I have been lucky enough to see him in person at a small club near where I live...

As for Rocco Prestia....I would not even mention him in the same thread as any rock bassist...Rocco is probably one of the most killers bassists around, with a tone that is simply unbeatable!

This might be the next CD I Buy. Thanks for the tip.

9. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Three tightest Rhythm Sections I've ever heard:

1 ) T.O.P. Kinda of a different level then everyone else

2) Gary Grainger/Dennis Chambers Great pick JMX! UBBER TIGHT!!

3) Chris Squire/ Bill Bufford That early YES stuff is a different kind of tight, but when you consider the odd meters those guys played it was unreal!

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    That's who I thought of too, when I saw the thread title!!

11. Vysous

Vysous

Mar 29, 2005
    Oh man! You forget on somebody!

JONH BONHAM && JOHN PAUL JONES

I don't know better rock rhytm section....

And for me, on the second position are:

TOMMY SHANNON && CHRIS LAYTON

Hey, they GROOVE... I like them, as much as their bandmate
    , Stevie Ray Vaughan

and... bronze medal, if we can call it rhytm section, because it's just guitarist with drummer :

JIMI HENDRIX && MITCH MITCHELL

Yeah, their hold the rhytm!!!
    sorry, I know there's no bassist.. But their co-operation must be noticed...

12. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    +1

13. Chuck Rainey and Bernard Purdie.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Led Zeppelin, I get more of a loose feel from... not in a bad way, but I wouldn't call them ultra tight. I think loose/groovin...

15. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Rocco & Dave Garibaldi would be my first pick but damn if Scott Ambush & Joel Roseblatt of Spyro Gyra fame were tighter than a mofo!! Too bad Joel left the band!

16. Zaxyl

Zaxyl

Mar 28, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    I am proud to say that I have met the legend of Rocco himself, and he is the nicest guy. And really funny. I actually met everyone in tower of power except the horn players because I had a backstage pass. And my father is friends with jeff tamelier. They're all really great guys.

As for tightest rhythm section, T.o.P is up there, but I personally am a fan of the MGs. Duck Dunn and Cropper are excellent.

17. Stefan Lessard/Carter Beauford

18. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'll add Martin and Martin from Opeth (the drum/bass interplay on My Arms Your Hearse and Deliverence is incredible) and Dave and Nick (Countdown to Extinction and Rust in Peace) from Megadeth to this list.

19. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Geddy and Neil (Rush) are extremely tight, especially impressive because they both like to overplay a lot! But I wouldn't have it any other way :D

Dream Theater is extremely tight too, but what would you expect from them... they're robots!

John and John are pretty tight, "The Lemon Song" gets me every time :hyper:

And Megadeth is pretty tight on the Rude Awakening DVD, but that's Jr. and Jimmy Degrasso.

Chris and Bill/Alan (Yes) are very tight, just listen to the stuff on Topographic Oceans and Relayer, any band that can pull that kind of stuff off with such precision is pretty amazing... I mean, listen to "The Gates Of Delirium" - it's 22 minutes of pure craziness, and even live on Yesshows, the guys don't miss a beat!

**oh yeah, I just remembered that time I saw the AMAZING Dave Holland Quintet... Dave and his drummer Nate Smith were just in the zone! That was an amazing show, and they were an extremely tight rhythm section.

20. MeyerBrown

MeyerBrown

Aug 9, 2005
    the rhythm section from Nile is astounding. The whole band is incredibly tight but the rhythm section is impecable. I dont know how the bass player plays as fast and as downtuned as Nile while still managing to stay clean!!! The drummer is a freaking monster player as well.