1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tilt back advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gusset, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Gusset

Gusset

Feb 20, 2014
    I have a Markbass CMD-102p. Playing a Chapman Stick through it, both melody and bass sides of the instrument (Stick -> fx -> mixer -> CMD-102p input). Love the amp, but I haven't played out with it and am somewhat new. I have a couple of varieties of venues I'll be playing at in the near future, and am looking for a bit of advice on whether to tilt the amp back, have it flat, or put it on its side.

#1 is a 35 piece concert/brass band. We'll be on a raised stage in a somewhat largish high school auditorium with a fairly high ceiling. It's an arts center, so I believe the ceiling has acoustic treatment. The amp will be located behind the band, toward one side. No PA. Pretty sure I want to tilt back. Am I correct?

#2 is a 3 piece (electric guitar/drums/Stick), playing outdoors at a Saturday Market, probably under a canopy. Don't know if it will be on a platform or not. When we practice, we're either in a garage or living room, playing at fairly low volume, and I tilt the amp back, as it sounds best that way. Outdoors, though, I wonder if tilting back will put the sound up more than out toward the audience. Probably no PA, but I'm not certain...the guitar player has a PA he may bring, however I bought this amp in large part so that I wouldn't need to depend on a PA for performances like this where we're trying to be present and accessible but not intrusive.

What should I consider as I play in less enclosed areas like these?

2. Not much amp there sir. My brass concert band is half the size of yours and I need two cabs if no PA.

Outdoors same and fair cranking. Only if there is a full PA with monitoring for bass to the far side, will I tilt.

Ideally you would invest in the matching 2x10 for stacking vertically. Otherwise I would raise it up in the vertical position a couple of ft, in preference to tilting.