Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tim Bob

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by gazman_res, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Hi Guys,

I just picked up Rage Against the Machine's first album, great album.

Just curious which bass Timmy C was using on it.

I know he was using a Jazz Bass/Maple in later Albums
    and he started using a Jazz Bass/Rosewood on the Audioslave stuff.

I think its a Musicman.. but not sure if its Maple, rosewood?
    Sterling or Stingray?

anywhoo thanks for any replies..
    apologies if its in the wrong section..

2. Is it the album with Bullet In The Head on it? If so I know he used a MM Stingray (I believe it's a 'Ray) on that song.

3. Yup Sure is.

Also got
    Wakup which was played at the end of the first Matrix Movie.

Killing in the Name of.
    take the power back (which has a great slap tone, imo)

4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I believe the whole album was all Stingray bro, especially good on that album though was Take the Power Back which is one of my favorite Rage songs!!

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The whole album was with a SR. I personally preferred the tone of the first album the best, even though he gets more credit with his tone on the last couple Rage albums and the new Audioslave album.

6. +1 on take the power back being one of my favs too.

another +1 on the tone on this album.. i loved stuff he did on evil empire as well...

just curious if anyone can spot if it was a maple or rosewood?

7. wake up is definately my favourite rage song...and take the power back...

im pretty sure from pictures and old footage it was maple..i can remember it was a bastardised stinger, he stripped the paint and took off the pickguard...but im pretty sure it was maple......if anyone beats me to it, ill check the last concert dvd when i get home, i know its in the bombtrack "alternate" film clip

get that dvd gaz..its pretty amazing..not to mention cypress hill come out and do how i could just kill a man with them

8. cool.. i do remember him with a bass w/o a pickguard.. but got confused if it was a jazz or 'ray.. now i know it was both.

ill def check out the dvd tho heath, but they have 3 of them out.. which one is the last one?

9. live at grand olympic auditorium? something like that :D

10. thats it...
    anyways, heres a pic...[​IMG]
    maybe that will clear things up...
    i guess he used that with SWR gear for that sound...somebody said SWR here, because he saw them right when their first cd came out or something like that...

Charlie

11. thanks charlie..
    appreciate the pic!

12. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Yep, Commerford was using the stripped-down Stingray through SWR gear at that time. Check the "Bullet In The Head" video to see his rig.

I much prefer his more recent tone - the whole thick, overdriven Jazz Bass thing. I think Evil Empire and Battle Of Los Angeles captures it best. It provides better support to Morello's guitar and makes the groove of the band that much more powerful.

Russ :bassist:

13. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    You got it right on everything.Lovely thick tone of Battle.... and Evil Empire.I'm not a huge fan of the tone on the first album.Nice tone but doesn't fit the band

14. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I heard it earlier today, and sound quality is terrible.

15. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    He took the PG off the ray and put on a thumb rest.I too prefer the tone on Evil Empir and LA.So smooth sometimes(Intro to Calm Like a Bomb) and sometimes so thick and overdriven(Most of the time!)