1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tim Salas?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by budman, Aug 15, 2007.

1. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I'd sure like to know why this person has my designs up on his site as if they were his own.

2. hey Bud, the designs link to your page. If I were to guess what's happening here is that he liked your layout and copied it to his site to work out links to his own designs. Doesn't hurt to contact him and threaten inconceivable violence if he's stealing your designs!

3. DigthemLows

DigthemLows Supporting Member

Oct 10, 2003
    Sacramento CA
    Pretty messed up.......email sent to him.

Salasbass

4. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    HAHAHHAHAHA, wilser you are great. That is quite pathetic though... If ever he builds a Bass from one of your designs, Ill take a week off work and we can go see him with pitchforks and messed up neck throughs with nails in em.

5. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX

I don't know why there are links to my site, but I don't care. I've sent an email and left two voice mails.

6. hahahah...I suppose it depends on which end of the design stealing one is on that regulates indignation :)

7. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am

Nov 15, 2005
    Wake Forest, NC
    DR Strings Dealer (local only)
    I believe Tim Salas sells basses through Bass Alone, may want to check if he has used any of your designs.

8. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    it's a shame because he does some pretty nice work too...could it have been a mistake?

9. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    "Mistake?" Looks quite intentional to me.

I have left voicemails at the 888 number on the site and with Bass Alone. I have also sent an email and copied the web site architect in on it aking them to remove all images and links.

Nobody asked my permission for squat.

"Salasbass ©2007 all rights reserved"...Now that part is pretty freakin' funny!:mad:

10. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    In fact, is there a way to protect designs? like music, easiest way is to send yourself a Cd of your music and never open it, if something happens, you give the package to the judge. Its got the date on it, so it proves you wrote it before that. But what about designs?

11. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    It looks like the whole site is under construction. That's no excuse, though, for using your designs as layout placeholders. They could have used any non-copyrighted "under construction" graphic. And using another luthier's work on a luthier's publicly open website is ridiculous.

I emailed him also.

{edit} As likely as not, it might be just the webmaster's fault.

12. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    This is not true and many folks are mistaken about it. I once spoke to an attorney about this method of "copyrighting"

Check out this site:
    http://www.copyrightauthority.com/poor-mans-copyright/

13. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    Hey Bud,
    You should email them and threaten to send them a cease & desist. If you do indeed need to, a lawyer shouldn't charge too much to get that done. I know a lot of IP lawyers so if you need a reference let me know.

14. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    As of now Tim Salas has used, without my permission, my copyrighted web content.

Trademarking offers more protection, but hard to do with body design. Headstocks seem to be quite easy to trademark.

15. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Thanks. I just found his home number and left a voicemail asking him to remove the content. The message said I reached "Salas Bass" or something like that.

16. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Wow, I guess that's when you know you've made it big! :bag:

I'd like a copy of that bobber you got there....that'd be sick. Although I might put some form of "Z" bars on mine...

17. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Maybe Tim Salas could build you one... ;)

18. yeap. I'm glad I never got one of those while stealing other's designs. I guess I got lucky or they just considered me insignificant.

19. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    There are a lot of design patents on body shapes, but I would guess that the cost is such that it's only either big companies with lots of money, or small luthiers who stick to only one or two designs.

20. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    It's always pitiful when people do this type of thing. I guess credibility based on someone elses work is his way of gaining some for himself.