Time for a new pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jjl5590, Feb 17, 2010.

1. jjl5590

jjl5590 Inactive

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
    Hi guys,

Let me start off by saying I don't have a lot to spend on effects, and thats why I just have multi-effects pedals.

Now with that out of the way, heres the story:

So I started out with a line 6 multi-effects bass pedal (forgot the model) and was unimpressed. Each effect sounded really forced, not natural at all - way too electronic.

Then I bought a Zoom B2.1u, which was... ok I suppose. But like the Line 6, it also sounds really electronic and completely fake/cheap. Also, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have true bypass, so It sucked out a bit of my tone.

I'm thinking about selling the Zoom and buying something else. I can't spend more than £100. I've had a brief look on ebay and there is not much in the way of multi-effects pedals.

Someone has offered me a BOSS ME-6B in good condition for £80, but I know nothing about this, is it even a multi-effects pedal or does it just do synth?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Cheers

2. What are you actually looking for? Do you want another multi-effects unit? Are there specific effects that you've used a lot with the previous multi-effects?

If you keep buying inexpensive multi-effects units, you will be let down. I would say either pony up for a decent-quality multi like the Boss ME-50B or the Line6 M9, or start piecing together a board with singles.

3. jjl5590

jjl5590 Inactive

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
    thanks for replying.

I had a read of reviews for the Boss ME-50B, and the general feeling is that the sound quality is poor. I've seen one used for £90 but I don't think im gonna buy it.

Is the Boss ME-6B an updated version of the ME-50B?

Cheers

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 if you're not sure what it is *specifically* that you want, save your money. But, if it's a better quality multi-fx, it won't be cheap.

5. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you want a multi-effects processor that has phenomenal sound quality and more variety of effects, amp and cab models at an affordable price, korg processors would be a good choice.

6. What reviews were those? I had an ME-50B, and other than the synths, it sounded great, which is the concensus here on TB.

No, the ME-6B is a much older model. The ME-50B is the best "effect only" multi that Boss makes now.

7. jjl5590

jjl5590 Inactive

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
    I think i'm gonna try and go for the BOSS ME-50B. It looks fairly decent.

Do you know if it can be run off batteries?

Cheers

8. If you don't care much for the Line6 or the Zoom, I wouldn't expect you to be a big fan of the ME-50B either. I had one for a few years, and got a lot of use out of it, but it has most of the same weaknesses as any multi effect pedal.

It can run off of batteries but it eats through them like a swarm of locusts.

Which effects are you angling for that you just cant get the sound you want (I'm going to guess distortions and filters)? I think you should start there with individual stompboxes.

9. jjl5590

jjl5590 Inactive

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
    i'm dying to find an autowah that doesn't sound like a quacking duck lol

i also would like to find some GOOD synth effects, that are actually playable

10. René_Julien

René_Julien Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    To clarify, it's the GT-6B and not ME-6B. :)

And the GT-6B is not an updated version of the ME-50B.

BOSS just has 3 series of multi's that they offer at the same time, from cheap and basic to expensive with all bells and whistles.

lower range: ME-20 (guitar) and ME-20B (bass)
    mid range: ME-50 replaced by ME-70 (guitar) and ME-50B (bass)
    high range: GT-10 (guitar) and GT-10B (bass, replacement of GT-6B)

I am with cheapbasslovin, what kind of effects do you use?
    Either singles would be a great idea or what I advice often:

go with the guitar versions.
    They work very well with bass mostly, only overdrives may not be ideal for bass.
    I prefer the ME-50 guitar version over the ME-50B bass version.
    Why? More modulation possibilities and more delay options, the bass version has some synths but I don't use them and think mostly synths on multis are not good.

The ME and GT series sound very okay to me, except for the overdrive and distortion effects maybe. Those may be the effects that sound too artificial.
    You wouldn't notice the digitalness of modulation, delay and reverb anyway.
    A good think would be to have a seperate decent overdrive or distortion pedal and a multi-effect.

11. René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I hate to say, but if you want good synth effects the best thing is to go with seperate pedals.

Fuzzes, octavers, filters,....

:)

edit: you might want to look into the Korg G5 if you can find one.

12. jjl5590

jjl5590 Inactive

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
  13. René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Ah, that ME-6B. :)

Long time since I saw that one.
    It's actually not bad, but if you aren't a collector the ME-50B would be a better choice.

Sorry, I assumed GT-6B, since there are a lot of them out there on the used market and a lot of stores still have them as NOS.

Yeah, saving up might be a good idea.
    Several people seem to be satisfied with the synth effects on the new Line 6 M9 if you still want a multi.

14. jjl5590

jjl5590 Inactive

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
    I had a look at the Line 6 M9, but even the used ones are too expensive lol

Do you have any thoughts on the Line 6 Bass Pod? It looks quite cool, not too expensive either

15. René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I have the POD X3 Pro.

I don't like the quality of the synth effects. Keep in mind I am definately not an expert on synth effects, and maybe that's why I might not be able to play those kind of effects decently.

I like the X3, as amp simulator, some drive effects, and all the modulation, delay and reverb effects are very good IMO.
    My same opinion is of the Bass Pod XT, good amp sim, modulation reverb delay are very good.

But for synth effects I would look somewhere else.
    I am dying to try out the Line 6 M9 for the synth and filter effects.

I really love the original Bass POD back in the day. But compared to what we now have available the original Bass POD seems like a dinosaur now. :)

16. jjl5590

jjl5590 Inactive

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
    Wait, so is the Line 6 Bass Pod the same as the Pod X3? It's a bit confusing all this lol

Maybe i'll have a look on the Line 6 website

17. René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    The X3 is the newest POD, it's dual purpose, for both guitar and bass.

First you had the original PODs, both guitar version (red) and bass version (black). Of this first generation the guitar version had an updated version, the POD 2.0.
    These PODs where available as "bean" and "pro" (rackmount).

Then you had the XT PODs, both in guitar version (red) and bass version (black).
    You had the typical "bean" versions, the "Live" version which is a board on the floor, and the "Pro" version which is rackmount.
    So three guitar versions XT and three bass versions XT.

Now you have the X3 in "bean", "live" and "pro" versions which in essence is all previous PODs in one with extras, with capabilities for guitar, bass and/or vocals, and dual virtual rig system.

You also have Floor PODs for guitar and bass, and the guitar has a plus-size version.
    The are diminished in what ampsims and effects they offer.
    They are mostly the tonal sections of some amps Line 6 offers offered as preamps.

There is also POD Farm, wich is the replacement of the UX and GX series computer interfaces.
    Basicly POD on computer.

There are also Pocket PODs for guitars which are... very small PODs... with lesser capabilities.

As good as I can pin down the range over the years. :)
    I might have made some mistakes.

18. I'm going to suggest a bass microsynth. It is almost a multi-effect in itself. It has a level slider for octave down, octave up dirty, square wave (fuzzy), and your original signal. Each of these signals runs in parallel. It also has a slider for attack delay and some sliders to control a triggered filter. The filter section is run after the parallel signals are put back together. The triggered filter doesn't sound quacky. It's 100% analog.

It has kind of a steep learning curve, but it's super versatile and sounds to me almost exactly what you want.

Here's a collection of short clips from the wiki that show off a handful of its uses. One has some delay added.

19. jjl5590

jjl5590 Inactive

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
    cheers for all the help guys

20. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    It's an old clichéd adage, but you really do get what you pay for. You're not going to find top quality for under 100 notes. You really need to spend some more money - 2, 3 or 4 times that budget!

I have a GT6B (for sale incidentally), most of the effects are great, but it is hugely let down by the drive and amp modelling. It's incapable of producing a natural, warm subtle drive. It's either clean or nasty digital clipping. My experience with it's successor, the GT10B is that they've vastly improved the GT6B's shortcomings with the drive modelling, but it still doesn't sound natural. There's something about it that sounds, well, 'Boss like'! I can't explain it, but boss units always seem to have a certain colour to them, a boxy quality that sounds OK, but just not quite realistic enough.

My Zoom B9.1ut has much better drive sounds, that tube in the circuit really does work some magic. However, it's not as tweakable as the boss, and some of the modulation effects aren't quite as smooth and glossy. But it a mix, it does the job quite well (this may also be up for sale soon - not sure yet).

I haven't tried it, but I hear great things about the Line 6 X3. Apparently much improved from the older pod series multi's. It was something I consisdered, but was put off by reading the manual online and decided it was easily tweakable in a gig environment. Too many menus. I also considered the Rocktron Utopia going by some videos and the specs on their website. But no-one seems to stock it and I wasn't going to by something like that cold without trying it.

There is another option of course that could save you money and give great quality, providing you have a laptop you don't mind gigging with one. I have the Line 6 pod GX which comes with the Podfarm software (essentially the same software as in the X3). The sound quality is quite incredible. I've never hear virtually tube saturation sound so realistic. I'm not sure, but you may be able to programme a midi footswitch to control it. There's also Amplitube and NI Guitar Rig that are very worthy of consideration.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021