Time for a new rig.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick Bibeault, Sep 23, 2003.

1. Well after a couple of years of playing through a carvin pb200 i decided i need to step up to a bigger better rig since my carvin can't handle the volumes i'm playing at now. by this i mean that the amp at full crank along with my bass are not putting out the volume and clarity i need and after a little while the carvin will shut down and go into "safety mode".

for a new rig i have maybe about $800 at most to play with, spending less would be ideal. for a cab i am really considering a avatar b212 with the kappa speakers and now i just need to decide on a good head. can anyone out here recomend a head with good power, features, and head room in the up to $400 range? i know that is not alot of money to work with but after i sell a bass and my carvin amp i could spend a little more.
  2. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Have you looked at the new Mesa Walkabout combos? I played through one yesterday at GC and was blown away! No way that big fat loud sound comes out of that little combo. It will push some serious air. It may be smaller than what you want, but if you haven't heard it I'd check it out before dropping $800 on something else. The price tag said $999 but I bet you could get it down to your price range with a little crying or a good looking girlfriend. :D
  3. when you say the walkabout combo are you talking about the scout?

with this mentioned i might want to try to save some money with this technique. what if i kept my carvin combo and got a new head and i just plug the new head into the carvin driver?
  4. megiddo

Apr 5, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Yes, I'm talking about the scout. It may not be what you're looking for, but I'm saving my pennies 'cause I have to get one! It's the perfect combo for what I do. May be to small for you though.
  5. I'll have my next rig pretty soon.

QSC RMX850
    Ampeg BSE 410 HLF.

And some other rack goodies.
  6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Dude, f*ck new stuff. Look used, man! i've gotten a Ampeg SVT-3 Pro, Hartke 4x10 XL, and a Peavey 115BX all for about $700!! But, i've recently upgraded my cabs-i traded them both for an Ampeg SVT-1540HE which is a killer cab! My point (as a young, semi-poor lad) is to just look around for used stuff. Look in your local paper (well, maybe not the city newspaper, but more of a free independent newspaper, i always get awesome deals through that). Also, see if your local area has a website thats all about the local music scene. (in example, www.musicscene.org is my local one) I also get awesome deals through the classifieds on that site.

Good Luck.
  7. yeah, i planed on possibly going used being the poor young musician i am, i hope to luck out like my guitar player who got an almost new gibson arch-top guitar for $400.

I still don't know what i want for a head but i am deicided on the avatar cab. I'm looking into maybe a GK 1001 or the 700rb...
  8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you ever think you might play a BEADG 5 string bass, you might want to consider getting the Avatar B212 with the Delta drivers. If you haven't talked to Dave yet about the cab, I suggest you call or email him.

There's lots of good used heads out there. Depends on what type of sound you want and what you can find within your budget. Just make sure you have plenty of power for whichever cab you get.
  9. OK...

I think i know exactly what i am going to do for a new rig.
    Specs as follows:
    1 avatar B212 with the delta drivers (thanks lo-freq for the info)
    1 behringer v-amp rackmount preamp.
    1 Carvin DCM 1000 power amp.

I picked out this set up on the basis of price since i am not the person who has the funds to go with higher quality stuff and by going by reviews on this site.

Any one have any comments on this set up before i make the move on getting all this stuff? pros/cons?
  10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I hear some "meh" stuff about the behringer v-bass thing. I hear alot of good stuff about Peavey Max Preamps, and theres a cheap one in good condition in the classifieds-seller is jpwinters. its $150.
  11. DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    All good suggestions above and I also recommend looking for a used SWR SM400 or SM400S if that's your bag. I've got one and I've been VERY happy with it for about a year now.

12. I just bought myself an Avatar 212 Delta and i LOVE it. If youre on a budget under a grand but need something that can handle serious power, i HIGhLY recommend it. I second the Delta (instead of the Kappa) since it goes to a deeper bass, while the kappa has more of a pronounced mid. Ive never been a big fan of behringer gear, so if you want to go the preamp route, id say that you could get a Sansamp RBI for just a little bit more. The carvin is a good choose too, theyre known for excellent reliability.

Just my $.02, but i think youre on the right track.

13. I've found this to be an excellant power amp for bass. Very clean and powerful, doesn't color your sound. I've had mine for two years and I'm very happy with it.

Your other relatively inexpensive, but high quality option is the QSC RMX series. There's a guy selling new 850s on ebay for about $300, shipped. It weighs about 12 lbs more than the Carvin and puts out just a little less power.
  14. Ok...

now after doing a little more research here and by hearing some of the reviews on both of the preamps, i think i'm going to go with the peavey max preamp instead of the behringer. I think i hope i can get some money by today (no garantee's) to buy the preamp a TB'er is selling for a reasonable price.

Boy i hope this rig kicks a**, so far i think it will.
  15. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I own a V-amp and a Peavey Max. The Max blows away the V-amp in terms of tone. Real tube instead of virtual. I guess if you want effects the v-amp is a decent option. If you want a nice bass sound, the Max is much much better.
  16. You'll be happy with the Peavey Max Pre. It's got both tube and SS, built in x-over, effects loop, and direct out (pre and post eq). I love mine. Considering the music I play runs from pop to funk to sometimes aggressive rock, the Peavey gives me a lot of flexibility. I bought mine new for $325. You're NOT going to find a better pre-amp for $150 IMO. Let us know how it works out for you!