Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tips on falling asleep earlier?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vince S., Aug 17, 2004.

1. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Hey all

Most of this summer I have been going to bed around 1 AM, but in the past couple of weeks I am staying up to near 5 AM before going to bed.

I've been trying to get back into my normal sleep routine, but I just can't seem to do it. I got in bed at 12 AM today, and here I am now, typing this post. The weird thing is, even though I've been sleeping in til 1 PM (a good 8 hours), I'm tired and lethargic through the rest of the day.

Any ideas on how to get back to my normal sleep routine?

Thank you

Vince

2. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Don't sleep until 1 pm. Get up at 10 am or so. In a couple days of that, you'll get tired earlier, and if you keep rising fairly early, your sleep cycle will start to shift back. That's what I'm doing this week too.

3. Just take a sleep aid of some kind, that stuff'll put you out like a rock. But you know, sleep ain't all it's cracked up to be.

You can sleep when you're dead. :hyper:

4. meh. Sleep is over rated. I get between 1 and 5 hours of sleep a night (depending of if anyone is online to talk to) and can function just fine.

INSOMNIACS UNITE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D jk (about the uniting part)

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    3am and i just got home:/ sad thing is... i am wasted and i am still not sleepy:D

I think i ma go try to pass out though:D might work

Cheers

6. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I had that today... still up:D

i need a lappy that way i could intertain myself while in bed...

7. The 'ol hand not doin the trick anymore, eh? :D

8. yeah, don't sleep all day. get up early (like 9-10) and do something...ride a bike, chop down a tree...go to a guitar store...

i used to have the same problem as you, except what i did was just go to bed 30 minutes earlier everyday, until i got used to going to bed early. i wouldn't recommend sleeping pills, since usually they don't work and/or they just make you addicted to them and you can't sleep without 4-5 pills a night. thats what happened to me at least. :)

Charlie

9. in the same state. I've always gone to sleep late but these last few weeks have been bad. ~5am is my norm lately. and the sleep I get is restless too. I can be totally tired and still can't actually fall asleep. hell I took vikodin for a migrane tonight and would have normally passed out but I couldn't today. This is getting really annoying. I start class again next semester and need to get back on schedule.

I agree totally with the feeling more tired througghout the day. I really need to start getting back in shape anyway and I know working out and running or biking will help get things back to the norm. need to start that this week.

10. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I put on headphones and listen to music when I'm trying to go to bed before I'm tired. It helps me relax and wind down even when I have the energy to go run laps. Forcing yourself to get up at a reasonable time works too... eventually you'll have to go to sleep earlier, or learn to drive while sleeping.

11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I always feel ready to start going to bed earlier and getting up earlier once I've been school clothes shopping with my mommy. :hyper:

12. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    when my sleep routine gets all out fo whack.. i just force myself to stay up all nigh and all day.. then the next i am tired as hell so i fal asleep whenever i want... then i have my alarm set for about 10am... the first day i am still tired but after that it seems to work

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

- Talk to your doc and tell them how your lack of sleep is affecting your quality of life

- Free trial offer for Ambien sleep aid that needs your doc's sign off at this link - http://www.ambien.com/infokit.asp
    I've used Ambien before and it worked great. But you can't use it for long

- Don't eat or drink alcohol before hitting the hay. That may get you to sleep for a little while but the quality of sleep sucks and you usually wake up too early when the "rebound effect" (when your heart rate goes up) after drinking the alcohol kicks in.

- Try putting a very small fan in your bedroom. The constant droning of the fan keeps you from hearing any ambient noise in the room.

- A warm/hot bath, NOT shower, should help

- FWIW, Unisom and those over-the-counter things, which are usually herbal, don't work at all for me.

- A good movie on TV that starts at 2am

I often get home from gigs at 4am and the last thing I want to do is see the sun come up.

14. + Nyquil=instant sleep.

15. I've seen people sleep through some insane stuff after taking unisom. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone.

Staying up an entire day should work, but you might need stimulants. And then you're a tweaker....

16. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Dramamine. It also has recreational uses. :)

17. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

force yourself to wake up earlier. works for me. just force yourself to wake up at like lets say 9am or 8am. then by the time night comes by, you will be tired and will want to go to bed at a normal time. and you will be back in normal time again.

18. Dude, dramamine is for motion sickness. And more importantly, it only really has recreational use if combined with dextromethorphan hydrobromide.... or....uhh....so says.....some guy other than me.... ;)

19. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    The active ingredient in Dramamine is the same as the active ingredient in sleep medications. Allergy medicine too.

There is no need for dextromethorphan hydrobromide, though I do find it funny that you said "more importantly".

EDIT: Well the active ingredients aren't exactly the same, but the addition to the Dramamine's molecule dissolves off in water and doesn't have an effect. The real difference is potency.