Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

TiVo

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Timbo, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Who else here has tivo? Who here loves there tivo.. :)

I don't know what I'd do without my tivo.. Commercials.. Ah!

2. I built my own.

I don't have a (wired) home telephone, so TiVo was not an option (you need to have it connected to a phone line, and pay for subscriptions to get the tv guide data).

For less than $500, I have a set-top 3GHz linux machine with 350G of storage, hardware mpeg encoding and decoding, and 2 gigs of RAM. It'll do everything a TiVo does, and (much) more. I can record more than 150 hours of highest resolution video, or 350+ hours of what TiVo calls high resolution, or 500+ hours of "watchable, but you wouldn't want to burn it to dvd" video. ...oh, and the DVD burner is also built in, so if I want to save a show to disk, I can do it right there on the same machine. It'll also play DVDs, VCDs, etc... ;)

- briand

3. Ooo Burn. Yea, I can do that to... I just haven't hooked it up. :p

4. Does anybody can explain me what it is?

Thanks
    Vince

5. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    TiVo
    Basically, it's for people who can't live without TV.

6. LOL!
    OK thanks a lot, not a thing for me

Vince

7. even if you can live without television, the tivo is great. i don't watch much tv, (sportscenter, evening news, football games and esteban commercials), but i still find it great.

when i'm away at school (as i am now), i really miss the tivo. i hate commercials.