1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To all Hartke LH500 users, past & present!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frimo, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Frimo

Frimo

Nov 7, 2012
    Hi fellas...

Please share your experiences with me :)
    Im looking to upgrading my bass rig.. I currently play through a LH500 and a Warwick WCA 4ohm 410 cab, but I really want something bigger (I know, who does'ent:) And im thinking about
    2 Ashdown ABMt 410 8ohm cabs..
    The thing is, I dont really know it the amp has enough juice to pull these two cabs at an efficient volume, since each cab will only get 250watt from the amp, since they are rated as 600 watts cabs each...

What are you experiences with the LH500 and 2 410s? or perhaps an 810??

We play rock and roll, blues and some other loud stuff, and the bass fills alot in our sound, so its important that I can be very well heard....

really hope to get alot of great feedback from you all :)

Best regards,
    A hard rocker in Denmark ;-)

2. kikstand454

kikstand454

Sep 28, 2012
    Well....
    If you're currently running a 410@ 4ohms, then you are using all the hartke's power.

So in essence, by running TWO 410s at 4 ohms, you will be running at half the power per cab, BUT you'll have twice the speaker area.

Someone more intellegent than me may pipe in and give you a real spl number.....but I'm going to estimate you'll be about 40-50% "louder" to your ears. Especially with the 410 stacked as the speakers will be closer to your ears.

Personally, I'm wondering why 500watts of 410 isn't loud enough! Tell your band to turn down!
    I run about 130watts into my 410 and never turn up past 11oclock!

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I run a lh500 into an swr 6x10 and its LOUD. At band practice I never have to turn up past 2.5 on the master volume. I have also tried it through an ampeg 8x10 it sounded great but the 8x10 is too big. Kikstand is right though. Adding another speaker is the best way to get more volume out of your amp.

4. Lets break it down, the two 410 cabs will probably make good use of about 300 watts each before any extra power just starts heating voice coils or overextends them mechanically.

The 410 you have right now is most likely the same so 200 of those 500 watts is being wasted as heat not sound.
    Eight 10" speakers will be louder than four 10" speakers with the same input power and with two cabs they can make good use of ALL 500 watts to produce useable sound.

The amp has the ability to drive the two cabs very well.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've run an 810 with a 25w amp, and while it wasn't the loudest amp on earth, it powered it just fine and was a decent bit louder than you'd think. Underpowering cabs is a myth.

6. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I dont have a LH500 but I do have a Kilo that Ive been running just one of the 500 watt amp to power my 810. Its plenty loud. And the Kilos 500 watt stereo amps are rated at 2ohms.

7. eno50

eno50

Jan 31, 2009
    North of Memphis
    Your Hartke is 500 watts@ 4ohms,this means you can use two 8 ohm cabs and that would be a 4ohm load or one 4 ohm cab to get the full
    power out of your amp.
    More speakers as a rule produce more sound,move more air and sound
    a lot louder than a single speaker .
    IMO two 8 ohm multi speaker cabs will take care of most,like 2-12's
    4 -10's. that way for smaller gigs one cab @ 8 ohms would give you
    enough and if you need more add your other 8 ohm cab to get the most
    out of your amp.
    As far as the Hartke goes ,I like the LH500 ,it,s a great sounding amp
    simple controls ,enough power for most things and best of all they
    don't cost a arm and leg.

8. Are you using a pre-amp? I am amazed at the difference in volume I get adding a pre-amp to boost my signal.

9. Joe Milo

Joe Milo

Nov 1, 2009
    Geneva Ohio
    I have the Hartke LH500.....great amp! My signal chain is as follows......Line6 G30 wireless......Tech21 SVT pedal......Boss LM3 compressor pedal....to a Behringer rack tuner then the Amp then a Hartke XL 4X10

10. Frimo

Frimo

Nov 7, 2012
    Thx for all your replies:)
    We do play loud, hard and fast, both live and in at practice:)
    So volume, or percieved loudnes/volume is important:)
    Well, I will Pick up these two Ashdown ABM 410 cabs come december, and hope they will serve my needs for some years to come :)

11. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    I think you'll be pleased. I used to run an LH500 into 2 TL606 cabs loaded with Eminence Kappalite 3015s in a deafening classic rock cover band, and the LH500 / 215 @ 4 ohms setup was plenty loud enough. By deafening, I mean that even with ear plugs my ears would ring for hours after shows. I think you'll be fine with 810s at 4 ohms with the LH500.

Liam