1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

To el tu que or not to el tu que? (L2000 Content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stranger Danger, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I have painful terrible gas pains for a G&L L-2000 (Blonde over Ash, #6 neck G.O.T.). Please give me the pros and cons on this instrument. Preferably from someone who has owned or currently owns this instrument and has gigged with it. I'm curious about usable tones, how it sits in the mix, how it sounds with flats, etc.

I play rock with my fingers on flat wounds.

Spanks in advance.

2. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    No answer?

Come on Chef, this is practically a call out thread. Where are the El Tukays at?

3. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The up or down side to the L2000 is it's raw agressiveness. You have to approch your EQ a bit differently than with most basses. It's the only bass I own that I don't dime the controls in passive mode. The number 6 neck is...to...die...for! :D

4. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    I had a 2500, ash body, ebony f/b. Very bright, very focused sound. It takes a bit to get used to the controls, but, after that, it takes about ten seconds to dial in that sweet sound.

It sits in the mix quite well, and it will also punch through the mix quite well, when desired. Extremely versatile instrument.

Cannot comment on the flats, though.

5. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Thanks yall. Im taking my time with this one as I tend to be an impulse buyer.

6. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Does anybody know if they still do the black powder coated hardware?

7. JohnnyB53

JohnnyB53

Nov 1, 2009
    This is exactly what I love about'em--the ability to blend while remaining disctinctive.
    I have a semihollow ASAT, which has the same electronics and a #8 neck (1.5" nut, 12" radius). I use flats on it every once in awhile. I've used Chromes, Thomastik-Infelds, DRs, and GHS tapewounds. They all bring something different to the party, but in general the MFD pickups manage to maintain power and clarity. I particularly like the tone of the TI's, but the low tension limits speed. For traditional bass playing at mid-tempo, they're great.

What I like the most are the GHS Pressure Wounds or very similar Ken Smith Compressors using alloy 52 wrap. These are a good match and you get a fatter version of the clarity and definition of roundwounds with a slicker feel and lower string noise. I prefer them to half rounds. I have them on my ASAT and 1986 Lynx and will be putting them on my L-1505 too.

8. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Thanks for the info.

9. Spiritfield

Spiritfield Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Jawja
    No, you can't get the black crinkle on new ones..
    As to sound, they kill. In live or studio, they kill. I use flats on mine, live and studio. It's received nothing but praise for it's sound from FOH as well as studio engineers.

They are great! I gigged a L2K with #6 neck for several years and it was a great bass. I really like the #6 and #8 necks. I have owned several L2K's over the years and the 1.5" width necks are very comfy to me. The L2K I've kept the longest (a natural ash/maple '84) has a 15/8" neck that is thin front to back and is my ideal L-2000 in terms of playability and sound. I really can't say enough good about them.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Best thing I ever did to my L2500 was the single coil mod. Makes an incredible bass 1000 times better. I don't understand why they don't just do this at the factory. All it takes is a slightly different switch than the one they already use.

11. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    You should google G&L Bass Forums. There is a ton of information that you could get.

I own an SB2 and I used to own an L2K. The L2k was a custom order and It was a beautiful bass. The L2k has a very aggressive tone. Its loud and at times harsh. It does take some time to 'tame' it a little. Most advise rolling back the volume knobs to get it under control. The switching allows you different tones but all are aggressive. In the mix, the L2k is one of the best. It never gets pushed around and it makes you feel good.

G&L also builds one of the best instruments. Excellent craftsmanship and the neck is PLEKED. A special process that uses a precision machine to get the neck in the best shape it can be in out of the factory. They offer options too. Colors, binding, matching headstocks and different necks too. Different sizes different fretboards and different finishes along with different shapes.

I sold the L2k for the SB2 and although I love the SB2, I really miss the L2k. Right now I'm thinking of getting the Anniversary Edition L2k. Ebony board.
    Maybe a new JB.

Either way, I don't have the money.LOL:D

12. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    Single coil modded as well ;)

Haven't really been playing it much lately either......

IMG_2974.

13. Clank

Clank

Jan 7, 2008
    Huntington Beach
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Strings
    I have and sb1, had an sb2 (stolen) and a l2000. The thing about all of these is that they are loud. Very loud. And very aggressive sounding guitars. The l2000 sits very well in with just about any band through just about any amp. They are very easy to play but very unforgiving. You and everyone else will hear any and all flubbed notes. Really fun to play though.

14. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    You are a cruel, cruel person. :bawl:

15. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Hugh Jass, your bass looks sweet in white!

16. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Oct 10, 2008
    Canada eh
    Thanks! though it is actually blonde. The lighting makes it look white. It has a really nice piece of swamp ash underneath and you can see the grain in the right light.

To StrangerDanger- Sorry, I wasn't trying to be mean, just wanted to illustrate the combo you were interested in :D

You can always PM me if you want...... (*hint* "haven't been playing it much" *end hint*)

17. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Thats a #6? It sorta looks like a #5 or #7. Could very well be that I dont know what Im talking about though. (My wife can attest to the latter.)

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/USA/options/bass.asp