1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

To Micheal Manring

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Clef_de_fa, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I bought Soliloquy a few days ago and I'm really impress by the music. I have the feeling you really do express yourself like an artist should. Or maybe the music you compose really did resonate with me.

I wanted to know when you compose what inspire you ? Is there something you start with or is it more like a jam and the you go "I could expend on this" ???

2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Thank you so much, Clef_de_fa!

I'm inspired by many things and any time I come across an idea that intrigues me, I try to see if I can use it somehow. Various kinds of music are a big inspiration, of course, but so are the many other forms of art: poetry, painting, dance, film, architecture, etc. Interesting ideas also come from history, philosophy, culture, food, psychology and so on. One of the biggest inspirations is interesting people!

However, I don't have a particular method I use to compose. Sometimes I work things out very carefully; sometimes it just sort of falls out of the sky. I try to follow the ideas where they seem to lead in hopes of coming up with something that has a kind of resonance for me.