To those who have downsized their rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pizza1988, Feb 10, 2020.

1. I have some questions, but first:

I am thinking of going from a 4x10 to 2 1x12s. I plan on keeping the same amp (Ampeg PF-500).

I have: Ampeg 410HLF
    Interested in: Hartke HD112 (x2)

-If for a reason other than portability, why did you do it?
    -Were you dissapointed in any way?
    -Do you have any live experience with the cabs I have listed above and, if so, how did you like them?
    -How does a pair of 1x12s handle the low B? (Not worried about this for shows with PA support)

Why? Half of our gigs, I am in the PA and half I am not. My plan is to use 1 of the 12s when I am, and both when I am not. I understand that the reality is that I will not be sure until I gig with them. They sound fantastic in the store, but we all know that isn't the end all be all.

hintz and fhm555 like this.
  2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    A HPF will be your low B's best friend. :thumbsup:

3. Ya know, every time I look into a HPF I get distracted. I think it's time I finally get one :thumbsup:

4. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I downsized my rig many years ago and do not regret it in the slightest. For a long time I was using a GK Fusion 550 through two Bergantino 1x12s and it was volcanic. People would initially scoff at my "pee wee rig" but once I plugged in, everyone's eyes would bug out and they'd exclaim, "Holy ****, that thing is loud!!!" And bear in mind, I played in heavily gigging punk and alt-metal bands where I had to be loud, and I NEVER turned my volume and gain knobs past 9 o'clock. 10 o'clock at the most. There were even times when only 1 cabinet was plenty loud. And it handled low tunings well. I played a 5er tuned a whole step down in the alt-metal band.

I traded my GK head for a Peavey MiniMax and I love that too. My primary instrument is a 5-string tuned BEADG, and it sounds great through the 12s.

Then again, I've always liked the sound of bass through 12s. 10s didn't have enough lows for me, 15s were too boomy in the lows, and 12s have been just right.

Rezdog, roccobass, hintz and 7 others like this.
  5. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    I have the Broughton always-on. Not only protects your speakers but also tames room boom.

Next time I'd spring for the HPF/LPF. Let's you boost/cut the good frequencies on your amp.

Another option is the Broughton Resonant Filter. HPF/LPF and more.

Let me know how it goes. :thumbsup:

PaulCISSA, JMV, gh0st42 and 4 others like this.
  6. Awesome. Thanks for the help!

7. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    In order to get rid of the boom. Big cabs (4X10) tend to be boomy...

No

I have experience with Ampeg 410HLF. It's a great cab. It needs big rooms or outdoors. In smaller rooms it has a tendency to sound boomy..

I have had 1 Hartke HX112 (predecessor). I really liked it.

Well enough for my needs.

Pizza1988 likes this.
  8. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I downsized to barefaced cabinets, so all I shed were a lot of weight and bulk - without sacrificing volume or sound. The main reason was that I joined another band and went from playing 4-5 shows per season to playing multiple times per month - well, that and GAS.

My old cabs were what I considered good ones, Aguilar 212's. One 212 was enough for almost everywhere we played. I've never played the Hartke, but when they can hold their own against the volume of the Aggies, I don't see any issues here. A single 12 is okay when you need it for personal monitoring and there's not too much noise on stage. Two will be able to carry small venues.

Spidey2112, Pizza1988 and Zbysek like this.
  9. lfmn16

lfmn16 Inactive

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I went from an SVT and Fridge to a PF-800 and PF-115. The only thing I regret is not doing it sooner. I'm as guilty as anyone, but many of us play way too loud. I just put a stop to it and told my band (in a nice way) that if this wasn't loud enough they would have to find a new bass player. I think everyone was relieved.

10. I added a 12" combo to my stable, because there are gigs that don't call for a full rig (acoustic, small rooms, etc), and I wanted a single hand carry rig, so I could make one trip when needed.

kcolyar, dramatwist and Pizza1988 like this.
  11. The 410HLF is what I have now. Don't get me wrong, I love the thing and plan on keeping it either way (mainly for outdoor gigs) but it can definitely be overkill in many situations and annoying to get in, out, and around some places.

I really appreciate everyone's input so far! :thumbsup:

Zbysek likes this.
  12. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

i went from a 1-15 cab to a 2-10 cab (an improvement in several ways), but if i needed to reconsider a rig i think it would be just as the OP is thinking: two 1-12 cabs. i just don't need that firepower these days, so i'll probably play it out with the 10s. but IME, the right 12" cabinet does seem to have a 'sweet spot' advantage over some 10" and 15" setups.

of course, it's all about preferences based on the real or imagined: but two 1-12s sound ideal per the OP's goals!

Pizza1988 : i voted "do it!" ;) good luck! :thumbsup:

13. lbbc

lbbc

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    I went from Carvin BX600 with 210 and 115 to a Carvin BX600 with 212 to a Genz Benz 12T 6.0 shuttle to direct into PA (VERY minimalistic).

I wanted an amp again so...
    I now gig with an Acoustic B300HD amp into a Carvin BRX 10.2 4 ohm cabinet ($432 total). Couldn't be happier. Portability and a smaller footprint were my deciding factors. I don't miss the larger rig at all and I sometimes leave my amp home and run direct into PA for very small gigs.

Bassdirty, dramatwist and Pizza1988 like this.
  14. TimGriffiths

TimGriffiths

Aug 10, 2016
    I mainly played in punk bands with loud drummers but never really "upsized" in the first place. I've found a lot of the advice regarding what is required to be a bit overkill.

I got a GK MB500 and a GK Neo 112 with the expectation of adding a second 112 at some point. But other than one or two gigs one has been more than enough and it's hard to justify the price. Especially given how often I end up using whatever backline cab's available when we're not on tour.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  15. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I downsized to 12's and am now gassing for 15's, Once you go down the only way is back up again. ;)
    20190824_190838.jpg

16. I have pondered 2x10s as well as many other options :bookworm: but you're right. Something about the 12s is just right. Also, the Hydrive speakers are basically the perfect cone for my tastes.

JRA likes this.
  17. That's a nice rig :drool:

And I hear ya. The GAS never ends brother :help:

18. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    Maryland
    +1 on Broughton Always On. Nice little box with variable frequency. Really helps tame the boom on my Mesa WA and gives back a bit of headroom.

Pizza1988 likes this.
  19. Ya know... A lot of folks here are proud of owning way too many guitars and basses (I'm reformed to a reasonable number now, but I've been there), so I just don't understand the seeming obsession on TB with having apparently ONE "right sized" amp. I own six different bass amps right now, and one of them is "just right" for whatever I may encounter, including leaving one in a practice space, loaning one out to a close friend, etc. ...but I'd buy another if it was something really cool that I really wanted. What's up with this "one perfect amp for all occasions" thing ??

20. Kro

Kro

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Portability was the only reason for me, weight was the biggest concern, though I had also been hearing good things performance wise to the cabs I was downsizing to (a pair of GK Neo 112-iis)

Honestly, yes. For my needs, one was nearly useless even for rehearsals with my drummer, and with the pair, I felt I had a hard time getting enough low-end from them at-volume. I had to sacrifice lows for low mids, which is sometimes fine, but sometimes I just wanted my low-end.

Nope, I can only speak from my experience with my GK and Avatar 12" pairs that I had in my transitional phase before going to a Fearless.

Honestly, my 12s handled the low B just as well as any other note. It was more the overall tone of the cabs that left me wanting. B was fine, and consistent with other notes.

YMMV, but I couldn't have gotten away with one as a monitor. Thankfully many Philly venues have backline cabs, but I wouldn't be surprised if you wind up taking the pair everywhere.

Pizza1988 likes this.