1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tobias 6 string to 5 string conversion advice.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lamarjones, Apr 25, 2017.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    So I put an offer in on this and it was accepted.

Pre-Gibson Tobias Classic 6-string, #17XX Walnut, needs some love

Wasn't sure what I was gonna do with it but I measured the nut (2") and the width at the 24th (3 1/4") and it's perfect for a wide 5 string which was basically the only reason why I never kept one of these. Nut might be a tad wide but I don't think a wide nut or anything ever bothered me, should be fine. Neck is so dang comfy.

So.....I have an old TCT that I am thinking about putting back in but then I thought that those pickups might not work out. being 6 string pickups, they won't work with a 5 string configuration? Or should it be 'close'? I can live with close. But if I got to lose the pickups I may go with a whole different package. In which case, a full USA MTD package would be great except don't want to route it either. Might have to call Nordstrand and see if they can make something happen? Or just try the TCT?

I figured the hipshot 19mm bridge like they use on the MTDs to keep it tobias like. And is there any issues with keeping the unused tuner in there? Or should I take it out and plug it? I just thought about leaving it.

2. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Also, here is the electronics. Not sure if that black box at the edge is the original buffer for the tobias? 20170424_212008.

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    The pickups will probably work fine. It shouldn't be an issue as long as the spread isn't wider than before.
    Here's a 4 with a 5'er pickup that people seem to like a lot.
    Ernie-Ball-Music-Man-40th-Anniversary-Old-Smoothie-StingRay-Bass-Body-600x315.

4. The conversion should be fine as it pertains to the pickups they are humbucking dual coils two long bar magnets each. You can see in the picture where the magnet ends close to the screw holes. I would definitely leave in the buffer and replace the preamp with the TCT you have, in my opinion barts pres and pickups work better together. I hope that helps!
    20170426_112609. 20170426_112620.

Attached Files:

5. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward!

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    I'd swap bridge/nut and leave the tuner in place if it doesn't rattle too much.

I have a Gecko 6 w 16.5mm spacing that I planned on converting to a wide 5 and eventually decided that the bass was simply wonderful that was she was designed.

A classic Tobias of any string configuration is a wonderful thing.

Congrats on a slamming bass.

6. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Is that your bass?!? It's like the spitting image of mine.

Left the SD in and put in the Nordstrand single coils, I was searching for an East u-retro deluxe while the conversion happened, but after it got done the Nord and SD play together very niceley. Will get a pic up later.

BTW, if anyone has a pre gibson 6 bridge, would love to take it off your hands. Thanks for the tips!

7. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    20170623_211009. 20170623_211124.

Attached Files: