1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

toby upgrade, would u agree with this statement

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lil nelson, Jan 22, 2012.

1. lil nelson

lil nelson

Oct 19, 2010
    i wanted to upgrade my old toby 5 string. the only pickups i could use were j style where the neck is slightly smaller than the bridge one. there was no room to open the routing of the pickups as i wanted to install MM style but the control cavity is huge and was on the edge of the original j pickup routing. So i replaced with active J pickups and preamp. It sounds alot better the low B string is nolonger muddy. I am very happy but the reason i wanted to upgrade was to equal the output of my other bass. It didn't! I have to turn up the amp when switching basses cause the Toby dosn't have the output of the Bongo. So would you agree with this statement......J bass pickups can never equal the out put of MM pickups, and i will always have to adjust volume when switching from my 4 to 5 string basses. I have to increase the volume on the amp 3 clicks to equal the volume level. Thanks guys any advice will be appriciated:)

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    MM pickups don't have a lot of output, but they have a preamp.

Active J pickups, like EMGs are not very high output. But you can have higher output J pickups.

3. lil nelson

lil nelson

Oct 19, 2010
    SGD which J pick up would you suggest? Im trying to get the Toby to equal the volume of a MM Bongo HH. Im trying out EMGX with the BQC preamp in it now.

If the MM pickups have a low out put, is it the preamp that i need to change in the Toby? Cause its the preamp in the MM that gives it such a larger output volume. Thanks any input is greatly appricated!:)

4. lowendrv

lowendrv

Dec 12, 2007
    SoCal
  5. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I have a couple of J basses with Dimarzio Ultra jazz pups. I am pretty happy with them. They are humbucking style, but the size and shape of standard Jazz pups

6. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    Some Preamps, like Barts, have a small screw pot on them that turns their output up and down. What preamp did you use?

7. lil nelson

lil nelson

Oct 19, 2010
    thats awesome man thanks. I never thought of it, looks like the perfect solution. thanks:hyper:

8. lil nelson

lil nelson

Oct 19, 2010
    thanks for the input, im using EMG BQC preamp, not shure if it has a dial, but ill check.