1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tone Description struggle

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MAGUS®, Mar 24, 2006.

1. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Was just wondering about how difficult describing a certain tone is when it seems that one man's overdrive is bordering on another man's mild distortion

For instance - the clip i've included, ( its not me ) i would describe as quite a thick tone with " slight overdrive "
    Maybe someone else would say " mild distortion "

I dont know how much of that tone is to do with the pup, but there is definately a Sans BDDI pedal used, but no other FX, just a mixer.

What would you describe it as ? I'm a tad curious as to the differences in what people hear, and their interpretation.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3486717&q=hi

2. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    If there was any actual distortion/overdrive/whatever added, it was so minimal there that it's not really an issue. That seriously just sounded like a nicely mixed fretless bass.

If I had to go with anything, though, I would "VERY LIGHT overdrive". Distortion for me tends to be much harsher, whereas overdrive is simpler "thicker".

3. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    Thanks Schuster - minimal overdrive is how i was thinking of it. Theres no grit there at all in my opinion.
    I'm sure i've heard a similar tone from an older Warwick thumb ( jazz pups? ) without any pedals

4. Newget

Newget

Mar 10, 2006
    For a minute there I thought the bassline was going to be Boogie on Reggae Woman, I wouldn't say distortion in the same sentence as that tone. Overdrive is a bit much, it had some high gain added I suppose but more, to me at least, was alot of bridge pup on a Fender fretless jazz tone. Great tone by the way, I love it, which is why I got me a jazz too.

5. MAGUS®

MAGUS®

Dec 23, 2004
    UK
    So you think a bridge Jazz pup can emulate that tone, with maybe some EQ tweaking ?