Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tone Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dan1099, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    So im in an experimental mood, and i want to here some opinions on tones i should try out. I play in a grunge-type rock band, and I want to find a good, solid, rock tone. I play a Fender Marcus Miller Jazz Bass through an Ampeg SVT350 hooked up to a SVT610 HLF cab. I would like to know some suggested settings for my guitars preamp, and my amps tone controls and/or EQ. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Nice set-up.
    I usually re-set my EQ every time I plug-in. I start with everything flat and start with my gain setting before moving on to EQ.
    With my SWR350 I generally crank my input gain so it just barely clips. Try both with your head- Low gain with more output vol, and high gain with less output vol.
    With the 350 head, try starting with the EQ flat and all boosts disengaged. If you have an active preamp, try starting with it set flat as well. How does it sound at this point to your ears in your current enviornment? It should sound pretty decent with the equipment you described. Step back from your rig and listen for unwanted reflections and try to pinpoint frequencies the could be cut. This is where the graphic comes in. Pop-in some CD's and try to mimic the bass tones with your rig. REALLY listen to how the bass is shaped so that it sits in the mix. This is where the 3-band comes in. Start with the mid frequencies and work with them before going on to your highs and lows. Finally, try engaging one or the other boost switches. Too much?? Quite possibly. But that's okay because the less circuitry the purer the signal.
    Hope this helps,

T. Alan

3. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Thanks a lot, man. That sounds like a good way to start. I think my problem is im always boosting the lows too much. i also think that im attacking to hard trying to cut through the miz, and it takes the tone outta my tone, you know? also, its an SVT350, not SWR. it has no boost switches.

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    fingers or pick, ive noticed they are totally different tones out of ampegs, i have a real similiar setup.

5. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    I knew that. I specified my head because the SWR sound is so much different from Ampeg's.
    ...and BassCentral needs to update their website:
    "Ampeg SVT-350H, RMS Power Output (4 ohms) 350, RMS Power Output (8 ohms) 200, Preamp (Tube or Solid State) SS, Ultra Mid, Mid Tone Control, 9-Band Graphic EQ, Effects Loop, Balanced Line Out, 3-Band Tone Controls, Ultra Low/High Boosts, Input Pad, Peak LED Input, Indicator, Defeatable Optocoupler Limiter, Pre/Post EQ XLR Line Out, Line Out Level Select, Variable Speed Fan. "

From Ampeg's site-
    "Ultra Low/High Boosts: No " :meh:

6. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Definitely work with boosting your mids and maybe a little bass but keeping your treble around flat (12 o'clock)....

Mids are the secret of great rock growl... especially when coupled with some natural overdrive... :bassist: