1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tone quest...it moves!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by StereoPlayer, Oct 8, 2010.

1. I recently aquired two new MarkBass amps and cabs, a MoMark LMK and a F1.

After using the same amp for over 30 years(it still works fine), when I plugged my bass in the new head,,,wow,,,controls FLAT, and it sounded like a completely different bass!

I noticed when playing last night, I started out with FLAT settings, it sounds fantastic. As I progress, I tweak the EQ, love it even more....tweak....tweak. When I'm done for the session, I return the EQ to flat.....don't like the tone anymore.

That magic tone moves on a minute by minute basis. I still love the new system...but tone is very subjective.

th_MarkBassrig.jpg

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  2. bassplayerken

bassplayerken

Jul 18, 2010
    Jessup, MD
    I feel like that with every amp I play through. It sounds perfect, except it is missing that one thing. I cant tell if its mids or lows or depth or whatever. I keep tweaking until the next thing I know I am in awfulville. I have been happy with finding something that is almost perfect and keeping it there, knowing that if I try to fill the missing gap, I will create another gap and thus the chain of life (tone) continues.

3. That's what I'm talking about!
    Still love to play the bass with all tones:)

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  4. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I can relate too... perfect tone is elusive! My general rule of thumb is that I let myself tweak EQ on the fly, but only make small changes at a time, and try not to stray too far from the flat position as a whole. Not that it keeps me happy, but it least it doesn't get TOO horrible, haha.

5. Sorta what I do when I play out too. Most times it never gets too out of hand.

th_P-Bass.jpg

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  6. Bump for more Holiday weekend action....:)

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  7. Bump.
    Seen no action. :(

8. Yep.....ok.

S-Bigbottom likes this.