1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tonight's the night!!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Freight Train, May 18, 2012.

1. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    Tonight my new band plays its first gig. Just to confide in my bass bro's, this is my first time on stage in almost 20 years. I started picking out bass lines on an acoustic guitar in 1966 at age 13, by the time I was 16 I had a Tele bass and a 6x15 Standel rig, and by '72 I had earned my nickname Freight Train. It was balls to the wall until 1990 when I started my mastering business, and around 1992 it got so busy I just had to put playing aside, plus I didn't want to play in loud bands out of respect for my ears. But now I see retirement looming on the horizon, so it's time to start playing again. I hate to admit it, but I hadn't even taken my basses out their cases in 18 years. But I was totally amazed how starting again was like riding the proverbial bike - hand didn't cramp, calluses came right back no problem, and the drummer assures me I'm not pushing or pulling. It helps of course that I am playing with a monster drummer, Bryan Wakeland, who was in Tripping Daisy, Fever in the Funkhouse and the Polyphonic Spree. Bryan is master of the 'super lazy drawl', which means he sits ever so slightly just behind the beat, and it creates just an amazing groove. IMO the mark of a true musician vs. 'just a drummer'. Tonight is going to be so much fun, but this is going to be the longest day ever.
    I know no one is really interested in this, but my bass weenie is vibrating like crazy, and I just had to tell someone.

2. "break a leg!"

Post later how it went.

3. We'll need details in the morning!!

4. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

Way cool, way cool indeed!

5. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    Right on! Good luck tonight and on a side note Freight Train is the perfect nick-name for a bass player. Especially one with a 6x15 rig!

6. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Break a string!

Report back everything so we can live vicariously through you.

7. Randall

Randall

Aug 6, 2009
    Canada.
    wooo woooo keep off the track :bassist:

8. Freight Train

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    Last night was a total gas. Unbelievable how completely at-home and natural it felt onstage, like I had never stopped gigging. Smallish bar - 5000 sq. ft. or so - with around 100 people there at any one time. And I humbly say it was a rousing success, with the bar clamoring to lock us up for New Year's Eve. It was just powerful and Bryan is such a monster on drums we had the place tilted.
    Doubly exciting for me as it was my first chance to use my new Fender Bassman 100T with the 410 neo cab in a gigging situation. If anyone's interested in that I posted a tiny reviewette in http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/fender-bassman-100t-thread-871107/index15.html

I stopped by the nuclear waste facility on the way to the gig and bought a sweet pair of used shoes.
    [​IMG]

9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

MAN those shoes are awesome! Where can I get a pair?

Congrats on the big success!

10. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    Wow, a Standell rig!
    My first real amp. Had it a few months before an older, pro guitarist pointed out that it might not be the best thing to wheel the amp on it's casters for 5 blocks to rehearsal 3xweek.
    Really?
    (I was 14 y.o. and didn't drive. Maybe that explained the buzzing noise.)

11. Old Fart

Old Fart Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Standell?

The crowd went wild because of the bassist's groovy chops and amazing tone.

Last Fall, I played my first gig in over thirty years. Music is NOT going to fall out of my life again.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That's just the reflection of the camera flash off the mirrors on the toes of his shoes.

Anyway, congrats on your return to the stage.

13. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    The tone is in the glowing shoes. :D

Congrats on the gig.

14. Freight Train

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    Hey D - sorry, just saw this. Yeah, I had a three cab Artist 30 rig. The head was a preamp, and the each cab had a 150 watt power amp in it with preamp in/daisychain out, so you could daisychain as many cabs as you wanted. Two my cabs had 15" CTS and one had Altec Lansings. The cabs were basically square with removable casters and pins on the bottom that would anchor into the bottom cab. I'd usually stack two together with one beside with the preamp on it, and it looked so rocking with that dark sparkley-blueish Standel grill cloth. But sometimes I'd stack them in a pyramid with the bottom cabs spread, sometimes three-in-a-row, sometimes a stack on my side and one cab on the gui**** side, oince a cab each side and one behind the drummer. It was bass Legos.
    I still have one of the cabs, and possibly the preamp, stored at a studio here in Dallas. When I finally rescue it I'll post some pics.

15. Freight Train

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    It's actually reflective Nike swooshes on the tips of running shoes, but good guess.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There's a hidden joke in there.

17. tuckomf

tuckomf

Jan 18, 2012
    Neenah, WI
    Glad everything went well. I'll admit, I clicked on this thread thinking it might be Dexter related.

18. wow, that bar has 10 dartboards, cool story btw

19. Freight Train

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm slow, but I eventually catch up. Haven't used the old mirror trick since Jr. High though.

20. I thought you were wearing sandals and got some crazy pedicure before the show. :D

Congrats on your gig.