1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tony Levin and the 3 Drummer Mix

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by nbsipics, Jun 29, 2017.

1. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Saw King Crimson at the Chicago Theatre last night. Excellent seats.

But if you ask me, Tony Levin's playing was largely muffled by the THREE huge drum sets most of the time. God I really miss Bill Bruford. 1/10th the gear, 10 times the sound!

Do any of you guys play in multi-drummer bands, and if so, do you have trouble punching through the mix?

2. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Bass drum mics + subwoofers = inaudible bass.

nbsipics likes this.
  3. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Bummer about the mix at that show. I keep wanting to like this latest iteration of KC, but annoying stumbling blocks -- such as your report & similar ones with teh same complaint, or, even more compellingly, that crappy Live At The Orpheum disc they released in '15 -- continue to give me pause. Also, fwiw I've heard various Crimheads talk about how the whole notion of the three drummers "fronting" the band is an intentional approach to not just their staging but also how their sound is mixed/perceived, so perhaps what you heard was what they wanted. Sigh...

I don't now, but on a number of occasions in the past I've played in bands with multiple drummers, and I never had trouble being heard ...onstage. I have no idea what it was like out in the house. Then again, we weren't playing venues the size of The Chicago Theater so we were almost certainly dealing with a far more modest PA.

4. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Thanks for the reply. I think they had a pair of those new QSC "cardoid" subs flanking the middle drummer - cant get enough of that mud!

5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Shades of Joe Bonamassa's Royal Albert Hall performance. One stage. Two drummers. Zero reason for it.

nbsipics likes this.
  6. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    When I saw Crimson in NYC with Bill on kit/synths, Tony's bass tone was incredible and fit beautifully into the three drummer sound. The show was one of the most sonically "dialed in" I've ever seen. Sometimes the best seats for visuals aren't the best for audio, IME.

viper4000, nbsipics and Bob_Ross like this.
  7. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    nm

8. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Saw Tony with Peter Gabriel and Sting on the Rock Paper Scissors tour
    Sadly, his tone was generally the victim of the bass drum mix.
    He was fun to watch though.

9. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    Maybe you had a bad seat or they didn't mix the room well. Tony Levin always sounds like gold on the live board recordings. Though I will say that I have both the new Live in Toronto they did a year or two ago with this band and the "official bootleg" Absent Lovers from '84 and the bass on the earlier recording just kills versus the other.

10. I saw the KC show at Massey Hall last night and Tony's bass was loud and clear.
    He was a monster!!!!
    I was focused on him most of the night.
    Just a brilliant musician
    Glen

nbsipics likes this.
  11. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I saw back-to-back shows of the 2014 tour in Philadelphia, and this was my experience. I had very different seats for the two shows, and the sound --including Tony's -- was just astonishing in both places.

12. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Reviving the thread because I bore witness to King Crimson last night in Austin at the Bass (like the fish) Concert Hall. This room has notoriously bad sound even after a multi-million dollar renovation. The legroom was pretty great, though.

Amazing show.
    Pristine sound, full, loud, and clear.
    It was the tour opener and they crushed it from the opening notes.
    Definitely go to a show if they're coming near you. It's an experience. Video and audio cannot capture or replicate what it's like to be in the room.

Bob_Ross and Lobster11 like this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021