Too many basses ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chalie, Nov 9, 2004.

1. If you are a serious intermediate bass player that work your way up to a skilled player but at the same time, you keep getting new basses to your collection (more than 10 exotic basses right now , various types too).

Will you soon become a skilled player as you wish under the habbit of collecting new basses.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Collecting basses has nothing to do with getting better. It just means that you appreciate different basses. Improvement is the result of serious practice and often regular gigging. A different bass can allow you to try things that can lead to learning, for instance, an extended range bass could lead to more chord knowledge or a fretless could improve your note knowledge and intonation, but none of that is guarranteed. It all depends on how hard you work at it. :bassist:
  3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska

Much as I enjoy having new toys, I actually find that my playing progresses much more when I'm focused on the music and not the gear. Many of the most extraordinary bassists to come along use only one or two decent instruments, and it's good to remember that--from a musical standpoint, anyway--they are just tools in the end.
  4. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Like I'm a bit of a beginner (montha and a half) with an Ibanez RB800 (just found out it has active electronics and I got is dirt cheap)...

and now I'm looking at a Rondo to mess around with, because maybe it would have a diff tone/sound...
  5. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Well, new toys can give a bassist a new game. For example, it's hard doing wooten on a Rick. My thumb with light strings was a major change for me, and it helped me for the better. But constantly getting new basses won't make you better, especially if they're similar. Plus, being intermediate only means you know you've got a long way to go, other peoples judgement doesn't matter. If You feel you've reached a plateau, then you're set.
  6. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    Constantly getting new basses can also slow you down, if you, say, start on a 4. Get a fretless three months later, before you're comfortable with the 4. Get a 6 while your intonation still sucks on the fretless. Get a fretless 6 eight weeks after that, that you can't play at all.

I start lookin'for a new bass when I'm completely comfortable with an old bass. When it's broken in, and feels like home every time I pick it up, then it's time to expand my horizons.

I've been playing for 7 or 8 years now, and I own 3 basses. A 4 string, a 5 string, and a 4 fretless. I have two 6s on the way, being a fretted and a fretless, that I expect to receive aboot 6 months apart. I wouldn't WANT them to arrive any closer together! I'm gonna need to woodshed like mad to really get used to whichever one comes first!
  7. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    no, buying hypermindblowing stuff in that case is a state of denial. study & practisepractisepractisepractisepractisepractisepractisepractisepractisepractisepractisepractisepractisepractisepractise.

EDIT: nevermind. uncalled for. sorry.
  8. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    My only "pet peeve" with some players who have a big collection of basses is those people who only collect them and never play them.

I currently have 4 basses with two more on the way (one of which I probably will re-sell as I took it in trade as partial payment for one of my customs...), and I play them all. Sure, some more than others, but they all see time hangin' over my shoulder on a strap. I also have several basses that I want and will buy once I find the right one at the right price (I want another Gibson SB400 and a Rick 4001/4003 to replace the ones I used to have, etc...)

Nothing bugs me more than a beautiful instrument that gets locked up in a case and never played.... and I also find old instruments that REALLY show their age (like Stevie Ray Vaughns old #1 strat or Billy Sheehans old 69 P-bass) to be as beautiful as any fancy wood pricey custom!
  9. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    4 is my limit as I could never give adequate attention to a larger collection in terms of playing time or maintenance.
    (And number 4 would have to be an EUB)
  10. RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Well I definitely agree different basses are good for different things, at some point you definitely can have too many basses, and I think it hurts your playing. How do you know when you've reached that point? When it's more about what gear you're using than what notes you're playing.
  11. Bassart1

Bassart1 Guest

Jun 26, 2003
    Of course busy first call session and jingle players may have a dozen or more instruments at their disposal to cover their needs.

There are no hard/fast rules here as far as I'm concerned.
    Life is short.
    If owning 20 basses makes you happy I say "Go for it!"
    (Even if all you play is 2 of 'em.)
  12. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I don't really understand this attitude. There are collectors of nearly every type of item. Do you begrudge stamp collectors for not using them to mail letters? Are museums wrong for displaying musical instruments rather than allowing people to play them?

There are plenty of basses for everyone. There is no reason to hate a person for being a collector.

BTW, I say this as a player and not a collector. I do not own any collectible basses. I play my basses and I don't concern myself with what is happening with all the other basses in the world.
  13. I only have two basses. But I can definately think of some more I would buy.

Such as, a fretless J bass, a Rick, a Wal, a P bass, a hi end 5er, ect.

But I basically want basses as for what tone they produce, and I like the P, J, Ray, Rick, Wal, Hi fi, tones.
  14. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    I did not mean to offend anyone, and I don't think comparing something like a postage stamp to a musical instrument is really the same thing.

I guess for me it boils down to the fact that I consider a musical instrument to be a tool made to help express our human emotions and feelings, and to keep an instrument from it's intended purpose to me is kinda sad.

Yes, I agree that many instruments can easily also be considered works of art, but they were all built for an intended purpose and use. I don't hate anyone, I just don't understand wanting to own a particular instrument (or instruments) only to then own them and not play them... I'm no saying you have to drag it into every lousy bar for a working gig, but to just lock it in a case and stare at it to me is a waste.

Anyway, that's my $0.02.....
  15. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    A bass collecter hanging basses on the wall and not playing them is like an art collecter buying beautiful paintings and putting them in boxes where people can't see them. All they care aboot is monitary value and bragging rights. A waste.
  16. Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    I can honestly say, as soon as I get established, I will collect basses and proudly display them on the wall in my living room (or dedicated jam room if I get married). The will be there to look at, maybe dust off and play once a year, they will be my art collection :).
  17. Also I think a collectable stamp totally loses it's value once it's licked and attached to an envelope.

However, the people who can collect expensive vintage basses and don't even play them probably play something that they're less worried about damaging.
  18. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    In my case, I`ve always played with only one bass:
    a decent MIJ Fernandes APB-4.
    Unfortunately, it was stolen last year, so I decided to have
    2 basses (one at home and one at rehearsals).
    That would reduce the possibilities of being robbed again.

Nowadays, I own 5 basses:
    Peavey Cirrus, Ibanez BTB405QM, Stingray 4, Ibanez SR405 and a Johnson (made in Argentina).
    During this year I`ve owned (and sold) 6 more basses.
    I`ve come to the conclusion that I only need 2 (or maybe 3) basses. For me it`s great fun to have the chance to play many
    basses and to know which ones will stay with me.

Besides, I can`t justify **marital problems** owning many instruments.
  19. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I've currently got five basses, and I don't think I can justify it. I've got the classic (Jazz Bass), the super-custom 5-string active monster (Sei singlecut fretted), the classy 5-string fretless (Sei fretless), and the gig workhorse (Spector 5-string). I've also got a Warwick Streamer Jazzman that I don't play, so that one's gonna have to go. Granted, I've got GAS for more Spectors (or maybe a Sei with Spector-like appointments, EMGs, etc) but I'm not sure I can justify any more basses right now! :) I've got one for every eventuality already, one too many in fact. With the possible exception of an acoustic bass guitar... Only if I end up making loads of money will I expand my collection further, I think.

Russ :bassist:
  20. I play a rather low-end bass(Ibanez GSR190) and I'll often travel to G.C and play all these super high-end basses worth 8-9 times more than mine and I'll just play better. I think the skill / sound of a bassist is 2% Gear 98% the bassist