Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Too Many Speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Vunz, May 16, 2004.

1. Until recently, I gigged with my double bass, Schertler Dyn-B pickup + preamp, Lab Gruppen iP450 Power amp and a Glockenklang Acoustic Art Mk. I box (1x10" + 2" dome tweeter). This setup sounds very nice: no feedback whatsoever, regardless of the volume (I suspect this is because the box' frequency response is so linear), and a very natural sound. But since I have joined a jazz quartet (female singer, guitar, drums & bass), I play in much larger venues, without the support of a PA (our singer has her own mini PA, which is perfect for vocals, but too small to amplify the whole band). I felt I had to crank up the volume too much, leaving me with a somewhat unnatural sound.

I have found out, however, that, when I added a second Glock Acoustic Art box, I could turn down the volume without sacrificing audibility. The sound is much more present, without sounding too harsh or brash. An added plus is that, because my power amp is a stereo amp, I can control the volume of each box separately. This is very helpful when playing in venues that are less than perfect acoustic-wise.

On the other hand, I feel somewhat of a poser by using two boxes and a PA power amp, instead of a small combo like a GK. So, my question is: how big is your rig and how do you feel about it? Does small equals "true" and big equals "artificial," or do you have other thoughts on this subject?

Let me know!

Vincent

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    If the components' quality is good as well as compatible, the size or number doesn't matter. While I usually use an Acoustic Image Contra, the EA iAMP 800/VL-208 rig sounds great, too. And before I acquired the iAMP I've used a Kern/QSC (2400 watts!) w/two VL-210 cabs on a doubling gig once. Sounded great.

If it's good, it's good.

3. Like Bob said, if it's good, it's good. You're just bringing your own mini-PA, just like your singer, and using it to get the bass out to the audience. That's what it's all about, eh?

Cheers, Tim

4. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I'll echo this. My bass through a Mackie DFX-12 board and a pair of Schertler Pub 2/280 's sounds so good, I don't really care what people think because they will like it when I play. I originally started using this set-up as a PA with me in it, but I like it so much I use it almost anywhere that I don't play acoustic in.

Of course this isn't NYC, so space is usually not much of a consideration, unless the club is so small I can play acoustic anyway.

Out here clubs tend to either have no PA or a crappy 150 watt PA amplifier/ speaker combo deal from Guitar Center that won't handle bass.

The worst is having to haul it, but I can get it all on one cart since the speakers are small, and it is worth it not to put up with crappy sound.

My favorite amplified gig here is Mickey Mantle's Steakhouse, who went way overboard on their PA. It is extremely complicated, but once I figered it out, I just bring my mic, stand and bass and it sounds great all over the huge place.

Monte