Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

too much limiter?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I'm soon to be the owner of my dream rig:

Ampeg SVP1600
    Ampeg SVPCL
    Aphex 204
    Alesis 3630
    Alesis Midiverb4

into a Schroeder 21012 cab. The preamp allows me to pad the gain (16Db) if I'm near clipping. I got to wondering what is the difference if I protect against clipping at the power amp rather than at a compressor/noise gate?

2. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    a pad reduces the signal (in this case 16db) so it lowers your signal 16 db.

with a limiter you set a level (treshold) and any signal that passes that level is reduced to the treshold.

so if oyu play lower the treshold, with a limiter you wont change anything, but with the pad youll be lowering it 16 db.

i suggest a compressor, cause you decide how you want to reduce the dinamycs (2:1 , 4:1 , 8:1 etc) for the threshhold up.

3. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    hadn't thought about going for that level of control...something else to ponder!

Thanks!

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY

in other words: a pad is not a limiter, you are just lowering the signal, with a limiter you lower everything that goes beyond a set point.

if you have clipping problems only on peaks, you may want a compresor/limiter to have a more balanced signal