1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

took a chunk off my bass

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by bass dan, Sep 2, 2008.

1. i just noticed today that at some point i took a small chunk of wood off my bass. i have a upton hybrid and the peice is missing off the lower bout on the underside of the "horn". it looks like it took some inpact, there is about a half inch piece missing and a crack that runs anouther half inch towards the back of the bass. it does not seem to impact the sound of the bass and is not a hole, just looks like i peeled some of the laminate side. how should i go about protecting the bare wood that is now exposed. superglue? minwax? just leave it alone? im not sure how long it has been there, i usually keep my bass on a stand and only noticed it because i had it layed on it's side. any suggestion would be appreciated.

2. Photos?

NO HARDWARE STORE PRODUCTS! :rollno:

3. uprightben

uprightben

Nov 3, 2006
    Boone, NC
    You sould get it fixed, a good lutier should be able to patch it so that you won't be able to tell anything ever happend. In the mean time, don't put anything on it and try to keep it clean. Anything you put on it will make a repair much more difficult.

4. thanks guys, when i saw i felt like i needed to do something right away, i have emailed upton for a suggestion on a repair. i am hoping its just cosmetic and wont lead to structural damage. its hard for me to leave my bass with a luthier mostly because i have at least 2 gigs a week im committed to. anyone know randy wood in savannah georgia? he is the closest luthier to me. he is primarily a mandolin and guitar builder but has a bass guy on his staff. i have had the bass for a little over a year and it has not needed attention until now, maybe its time for a checkup.